I rail on the millennial generation a lot, more accurately I rail on their parents (my generation) for not teaching them life skills and frankly reality. Well, you can bitch about things or your can provide solutions, and I try to be a solutions guy.
I want to be clear, that these skills alone will not fix the problem, there is a philosophical difference that is a problem as well. In the generations before parents put themselves where they belonged, at the head of the family. They were first parents and secondly their child’s friend. I will say a bit on this today, because it needs saying but if you take the path of teaching your kids these skills, perhaps even first learning a few yourself I think you will find you have to do what many parents no longer do, lead.
This is the crux of the problem, our nation is desperately lacking leadership, and we keep looking beyond ourselves for it. Well trust me when your 12 year old daughter is wielding a Glock or a skill saw, you will see the need for leadership instantly.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- Why I chose this topic for today
- How the mental shift lead to the skills being lost
- Why we must restore individual leadership in America today
- My list of 20 things is not the list of “THE 20 THINGS” – this is important
- 20 things every child should be able to do by age 14
- Possesses basic economic literacy
- Be able to teach what they know to others with confidence
- Be able to identify edible and dangerous plants in their area
- Grow plants and propagate them
- Safely use firearms
- Use basic hand tools (mechanical and wood working)
- Use basic power tools (drill, saws, etc.)
- Cook (this doesn’t mean make Kraft mac and cheese)
- Catch fish local to their area
- Be able to argue a point with basic logic
- How to do laundry
- Self directed learning
- How to train a dog
- Basic self defense
- Basic entrepreneurial thinking
- How to use a shovel, a hoe, a pick and a rake
- Start a fire, keep it safe and put it out
- Repair and maintain a bicycle
- Practice basic first aid
- Safely use a ladder
- Final Thoughts – Don’t like my list, add, subtract, append, make your own
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1972
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – support TSP when you shop on Amazon
- Grandaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Information
- Doctor My Eyes – Jackson Brown
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.