Today is Monday and that usually means a listener feedback show. Here is the deal though, I am in a great mood today and additionally off to a late start. Monday shows take a while so I am moving it till Monday and frankly some of the stuff the clowns are doing this week, will ruin my mood. So I thought why not a fun subject we have never covered before. Grilling!
The grill is really an incredible piece of daily living equipment and a great piece of prepper gear. Grilling is actually one of the easiest and most efficient ways to cook, but a little bit of learned skill and a few tricks of the trade will give better results. I would estimate I cook dinner on a grill or smoker 90% of the time, and I mean year round.
Today I will be discussing mostly grills and side box style smokers with a few other options tossed in. I will tell you what to look for quality wise, how to avoid expensive mistakes, where to never go cheap and how to get the most out of your equipment.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- Why everyone should own and know how to use a grill
- Why I absolutely hate “all in one” style grills
- The gas grill, why it is so flexible and what to look for
- “Inferred gas grills”, no it isn’t just marketing, I am sold
- Why two smaller grills might be better than one big one
- The basic charcoal grill, more flexible than you might imagine
- Ceramic style grills like “the big green egg” etc.
- The Portable Kitchen Grill – great story, great grill
- Side box smokers, my favorite way to cook when I have time
- Tower style smokers
- Tips on cooking various things on various cookers
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1212
- The Early Fires of London
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Weber Kettle Grills
- Weber Performance Grill – This is the one with a propane lighting system for charcoal
- The Charbroil Grill I Own – Make sure to get cast iron tops!
- Aussie Walk-A-Bount Grill – The best cheap grill I know of, but it is still cheap.
- The Portable Kitchen Grill – 1950s stye grill reborn
- Best Chimney Style Charcoal Starter I’ve Used
- The EcoZoom Versa
- A Good Solid Propane Burner
- A good double burner propane cooker if you do a lot of pots and pans stuff
- Video of the Old Country BBQ Pit I own, not my video though but it is my exact same model
- My BBQ Pit with Specs, note the weight, 350 pounds
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.