Episode-1047- The Christmas Special For 2012
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (6.5MB)
Most of today’s show is a rebroadcast of 2008’s Christmas special. Today we pause and take a moment to reflect on Christmas and how it has become the Holiday we celebrate today. Many American’s have no idea just how Christmas became unique here in America, the role it played in bringing our nation together after two wars of independence and the civil war.
Christmas is special and a time to pause and reflect. Christmas is indeed a special time of year, today I will cover many aspects of it that may make this Christmas just a bit more special. There is also a full text transcription on of the non commercial portion of today’s show in the show notes below.
Tune in today to hear about…
- Christmas was banned in England at one time and even parts of America
- Early Americans didn’t really celebrate Christmas, (congress was in session on Dec 25th, 1789)
- In the early 1800s Christmas was a rowdy holiday spurred by class conflict, turmoil and unemployment
- In 1819, best-selling author Washington Irving wrote The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon bringing us many “ancient customs”, he simply invented
- Leading up to the Civil War, Christmas was a “southern holiday” and Thanksgiving a “northern holiday”
- How Christmas and Thanksgiving together helped to heal a young America
- Today is a time to pause, reflect and just be, prepping, planning and stress will all wait patiently for you
- Different ending music for today’s show! The most beautiful version of Oh Holly Night I have ever heard, just pause, listen and realize what really matters while it plays.
Resources for today’s show…
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Written Transcript of Today’s Show (right click and save as for best results)
- Martina McBride Singing Oh Holly Night (song from the end of today’s show on Youtube)
- TSP’s Youtube Channel
Winners of the 13 in 13 Challenge
- 1st Place – Big Dan’s Ramblings – How and Why to use 13Skills.com
- 2nd Place – Nu Mu Pi Studios – 13Skills.com
- 3rd Place – Scary Dad – A Very Special Episode of Scary Dad
- 4th Place – Survival Punk – 13 in Thirteen: No Pain No Gain!
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.
Happy Holidays to everyone out there!!
merry christmas fellow TSPers! may your stocking be filled with preps!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!
For me, well I am spending Christmas alone and there are no presents under the tree either. Yeah it kinda sucks, but as I look around and see what I truly have, I see others with way way less. Although Santa didn’t visit me again this year I feel blessed I have food in the fridge and fresh water for my tap which is a lot more than some people in this world have.
Marry Christmas to all and have a great new year and be appreciative of what we take for granted.
I feel your pain.
Welcome to the hermit club 😉
We’re better off without them anyway; humans are nothing but trouble.
Merry Christmas TSP!
Merry Christmas everyone!
Hey, thanks for the shout-out! Great episode by the way!
Merry Christmas all!
Hope u had a great christmas and i wish u a happy new year. i have a friend who needs glasses and cant afford the 500 pair from the doctor. i remember u talking about a website that sells them cheap like 20 a pair or something. Wats the name of it? Thanx
I believe it was Zenni optical that Jack mentioned.
I just ordered a pair from them and I’ll know in a couple weeks how they work out.
Cost me about $50 because I got the high index due to my prescription
All The Revolution are belong to US! 😉
I have achieved a milestone; I’ve been working on for 30 years, persuading my family that gifting (for Christmas and birthdays) is for kids and adults should not gift each other.
The “true meaning of Christmas” has been upheld by me and I have dealt a death blow to consumerism, making the world a better place.