Get ready and strap in today. We are going to really blow things up with our guest Curtis Stone. Curtis Stone is the owner/operator of Green City Acres (est. 2010), a commercial urban farm based out of Kelowna, BC. Farming under a half acre of land spread over multiple plots in the downtown core, they sell vegetables to some of the cities best restaurants, wineries, and a weekly farmers market.
Curtis also works as an educator, consultant, and writer on the subject urban farming throughout North America. He joins us today to discuss three explosive topics…
- 1. Implementation of quick cash flow based annuals into pasture and perennial based farms.
- 2. The New Anarchist Front; escaping tyranny by using urban ag as a vehicle to build social equity in cities through production, education, outreach, and getting rich at the same time. Urban farmers as a decentralized unified front for State dissent from within the belly of the beast.
- 3. Local trade economics; food production is like printing money. Leveraging what everyone needs to get what you need. Farmers sit at the center of a multi ring circle. Food production is central, value add food is next, then food services, and from there we have skilled labor and trades, and outside of that is specialized services and expertise. Farming is the backbone of the local economy. In this new decentralized local economy, farmers are the lynchpin to the whole system, not the indentured laborers.
When I met Curtis I was excited to talk to him knowing about his successful 6 figure business, that began on land he didn’t own, in the suburbs, in the back yards of others. Basically he had set a high bar for himself, one he easily cleared. There are few times that I meet a person and immediately feel I am talking to a true brother in spirit, Curtis is one such person. Today’s show will absolutely rock!
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1567
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Backwoods Home – (sponsor of the day)
- The Duck Chronicles – Video Series
- Profitable Urban Farming – Curtis’ Course on Urban Farming
- Curtis’ Podcasts on Permaculture Voices on Urban Farming
- Green City Acres – Curtis’ Farm Site
- Article on the 8 Forms of Capital We Were Discussing
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.