Yesterday chatting with Mark Baker about Homesteading I was reminded of an episode I did back originally in July of 2013 called, The Bright Future of Homesteading in America which is now a bit over 9 years old. It was interesting to listen to what Mark had to say about homesteading and contrast that with some of the bullet points in the old show notes.
Today I decided to simply take those bullets and present them in the context of 2022 and all that has happened in the past 9 years and especially the past 3. The world has changed in amazing and bizarre ways. Honestly I keep expecting to see Superman with a backwards S show up any time soon.
Still homesteading is honestly the new counter culture! So today let’s dive into that.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- The 70’s movement was yet another cycle of things that occurred in the 60’s and the 30’s
- The 30’s were driven by survival and the 70’s by an escape mentality
- Both movements had some urban components but were mostly rural
- Today’s homesteaders are working land from 1/10th to 100 acres and more
- Today’s movement is driven by multiple factors
- Concern about the future
- The quality of our food
- The environmental damage of big agriculture
- The concerns about GMOs
- Regaining what was lost in Generations X and Y for everyone
- A change in the fundamental understanding of wealth
- An understanding of what is actually “beautiful”
- A desire to regain control in our lives
- What will sustain the modern homesteading movement
- The I can do this almost anywhere mentality
- The internet and info sharing
- Opposition will strengthen the movement
- It is being done BEFORE an economic crisis
- The problems of modern society are more evident then ever
- Automation and technology will make doing it easier
- The biggest reason, it is simply becoming accepted by most people
- Why I believe almost everyone will do at least a bit of homesteading in coming years
- What decentralizing even 25% of the food system would mean for society
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
Sponsors of the Day
- Paul Wheaton’s Garden Master Kick Starter
- Pork Rind Breadcrumbs – Items of the Day
- Get the Fold Card or You Hate Money – Learn Why Here
Video Version of this Podcast
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.