As soon as I say fermentation most jump to making alcohol. And yes that is one kind but we are going to do a mile high view of many types of fermentation today.
Man has been using fermentation for longer than he has even really known what it is. From the first honey in water in a sack made of leather to kick off into mead, to the first flour and water to rise on its own, to the first salted vegetables to sweat out and become sour and crispy, man used this process without understanding it.
It in fact at times appeared as magic. Today we know how it works and yet it is still mysterious in some ways.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- There are two main types of fermentation for this discussion
- Lacto fermentation – yields lactic acid and CO2
- Yeast fermentation – yields alcohol and CO2 (mostly ethanol)
- Both can be wild or controlled strains (introduced)
- Lacto Fermentation primary functions for humans
- Yeast Fermentation
- Alcohol for consumption
- Alcohol for preservation
- Alcohol for fuel
- Leavening (no alcohol is produced, not actually fermentation it is pre-fermentation)
- Thoughts and methods of several different products of fermentation
- Fermented vegetables such as sauerkraut or escabache
- Making yogurt – easier than you think
- Making yogurt cheese aka labneh
- Chili pastes and hot sauces
- Sourdough Breads
- Beer, Wine, Ciders and Mead
- Distillation of Fermentations (fuel you can drink)
- This is a life long subject if you want it to be, or it can be a simple skill set group
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Buy Bitcoin on CoinBase
- Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz
- Fermented Veggies by the Shockey’s
- Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit
- German Style Fermentation Crock
- Red Star Cuvee & Premier Blanc Champagne Yeasts (special yeast blend I use for dry meads)
- Fermtech Mini Auto-Siphon With Tubing
- Mr. Beer 16oz Swing Top Glass Bottles
- Flour Sack Towels with Info on Yogurt Cheese
- People are Crazy – Billy Currington
Episodes on Specific Fermentation Methods
- Episode-930- Lacto Fermentation and Other Ways to Use Excess Production
- Episode-1684- Making Dead Simple Ciders, Meads and “Fruit Wines”
- Episode-1694- Small Batch Mead, Cider and Fruit Wine Q&A
- Episode-2191- Another Look at Small Batch Mead
* If I missed any links I promised today just tell me in the comments below please.
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.