I have been in and out on Saturday vs. Sunday but now 1 week out Saturday has the better looking “weather guesser report”. If you have signed up for the class you should get an email today or tomorrow with my address, phone number and some directions to make sure you find our place. The rest I will cover here.
Time – We will begin at 10:30 and it will run about 4 hours total. If we need more time I will give it, but 4 hours is the plan. You are welcome to show up anytime from 10 AM on.
Work Flow – We will begin with a basic instructional outlining the process, build one bioreactor, take a look at some active ones, do some mushroom spawn inoculation of one, etc. This will be the hands on portion of things. This should take 2-2.5 hours. I will have coffee and likely some breakfast bars on the patio but if you need “breakfast” bring something or get it on the way in.
Lunch – We will be having a heck of a pile of meat, likely my reversed smoked sous vide pork shoulder, rattlesnake and rabbit sausage (yes really) and some other surprises. I will have some beers for lunch as well, water, etc. We will have lunch on the patio or in the shop depending on the temps outside.
Questions & Answers – While i will make sure to answer questions during the build we will also have a short Q&A period after lunch to make sure nothing was missed.
Walk About – I am going to take you guys after the Q&A to my back gardens to see the results from our compost and cover crop work we did in Nov. along with some work I have just done. Additionally we will be showing you a very cool new tool I just found for planting and injecting compost/fertilizer/biochar.
That will about wrap it up.
What to Bring
- Dress in layers, temps will be in the high 30s low 40s when you get here, but we will be working enough to warm up and the temps will be in the 50s (if the weather man isn’t wrong) by the time we are done.
- Gloves – Not necessary but you may really benefit form them.
- A Dust Mask – You can bring a classic chin diaper, a N95, a gaiter, a bandana, anything. This is only for when working in the coop. Stuff gets dusty. We will set up a fan that blows out the back to reduce it but a mask is a good idea. I usually use a gaiter mask when doing this work since I have them for fishing anyway.
- Camera Etc. – You can film, photograph, record anything you want, given this is part of a course for sale though I ask that you don’t publish stuff this time as to the actual instruction. Pics, short vids, etc. are fine to publish though.
- Seeds/plants/items for sale or trade – I don’t have time to do a full on barter blanket for a half day class but if you have anything to share, sell or trade we are agorists after all you are welcome to bring it.
- A goal to learn and make friends. Please get more than just the class out of this, exchange numbers, etc. almost everyone will be reasonably “local” at this one.
When You Get Here
My property has two main fenced areas. Our house is on 2 acres with a main gate. To our west we have another acre of pasture. There is a double gate that I will open about quarter to 10 for you to park. Please park in the field, make your way to the red duck coop where there is a cross though gate to come to our main property. We will be assembling on the back porch of the house for coffee, etc. when getting ready. Again we will have coffee and some other stuff. Aaron Hatch and I will be making sure all the cameras and mics work during this time so you guys can hang out and get to know one another while we do that.
DO NOT repeat DO NOT attempt to come in the main gate in front of the house. My dogs will not allow this! Park in the field and call me if you are the first one before you come over. Once Charlie and Lucy have their stand down orders we will be good to go. Until then you are a stranger and the dogs don’t let strangers in. It isn’t personal they just have a job to do. Again I will give you my cell number in the email I will send in a bit if you bought a ticket.
That is all again if you bought a ticket and have not gotten an email from my by end of the day on Jan. 1st please reach out to me.