A common theme I tend to point out this time of year is that the winter months often come with an abundance of time to do things that simply don’t get done in busier times of the year.
As a teen in Pennsylvania I came to fully understand the concept of “cabin fever”. The spring was full of gardening, trout fishing, chores, etc. Then summer brought more fishing (bass and catfish), harvesting, berry picking, scouting for hunting season, ground hog hunting. Fall would come and it was three months of bird hunting, sitting in tree stands, butchering deer and more. Finally Christmas would come, huge celebration and then……………………well……………..nothing.
May be a bit of 2nd season archery which usually meant freezing your ass off or some trap lines to run which meant completely freezing your ass off and then, totally nothing. Mid January until early April was just boring and it was also effing cold as crap outside. If not for weekend beer parties I think we would have died of boredom.
Now I live in a much milder climate for sure but we still have our downtime in winter. There is so much we can do with this time. Today I talk about planning and skill and system development during this coming time of the year.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Quote of the Day – “There’s no such thing as downtime for your brain.” ~ Jeffery Kluger
- First enjoy it, don’t get too crazy with goals, work projects, etc.
- Some things to consider learning or doing in the coming down time
- Quality time with seed and plant catalogs
- This is a great time to set up a reloading operation
- Inventory your prepper items (pantry, BOBs, vehicle kits, etc.)
- Set up your plant propagation and seed starting systems
- Clean, service and upgrade tools, garden tools, etc.
- Great time of year to get into curing meats
- Focus on alternative learning for your kids (museums, iMax movies, botanical gardens, etc.)
- Teach yourself a technical skill (video editing, basic coding, etc.)
- Build a heating system for a shop or outbuilding
- Get into brewing, vinting, mead making, making “fuel”
- Develop your vision for 2020
- Take a vacation
- How to actually make things happen – put it on a schedule, follow the schedule, do the things you don’t want to do first.
- Final thought – you will do more for you and your family if you turn off the news
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TspAz.com – support TSP when you shop on Online
- TSP Android App
- TSP iPhone App
- Blessed – Martina McBride
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.