Today I am going to discuss some of our upcoming installations and plans for the homestead. Mostly at this point we have planted a huge diversity of plants, species, cultivars, etc. We are still doing that in a way with these plans but we are now moving to a planned production of volume, utilizing mostly edges.
Our plan includes the use of several hundred feet of fencing to act as muscadine, table and wine grapes. On that same fence row we are planting bush cherries about 5 feet away from the fence, mostly Nanking Bush Cherry. Along the fence we are also planting triple crown blackberry.
Then in the next two weeks we are also planting over 30 varieties of cider apples into a fenced area where we just installed zoned irrigation.
Today I will discuss how these design choices fit into our long term plans for food and beverage production, along with how some it may be monetized in time.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is a muscadine
- Self fertile and female, pollination requirements
- Why muscadines over conventional grapes
- My Choices in Muscadines
- Magnolia (self fertile – bronze)
- Hunt (female – black)
- Tara (self fertile – bronze)
- Late Fry (self fertile – bronze)
- Cowart (self fertile – black)
- Supreme (female – black)
- Noble (self fertile – black)
- Carlos (self fertile – bronze)
- Wine and Table Grapes
- Cynthia – Wine Grape, Considered the Cabernet of the South
- Red Flame – red table grape
- Thompson – the green grape in every market
- Black Spanish
- The other stuff
- Triple Crown Blackberry
- Nanking Bush Cherry
- Butternut Squash (until grapes are established)
- Hyssop (just heard about this)
- Some other low bush fruit, TBD
- Across southern run, full on trees on the north side
- The apple orchard
- 35 varieties going into the fenced orchard
- A total of 80 varieties to be planted in the next 2 years
- What we are looking for in cider apples
- Long term plans and possible monetization
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1547
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.