While at Sanibel Island I did a LOT of fishing. Had a blast as the surf was pretty good to me for the first half of the trip. About mid way into it, the ocean just got really rough and turbid and it really wasn’t worth the effort at that point.
I always enjoy fishing and frankly the last year was so full of work not much of it got done. I enjoy fishing in fresh and salt water, in bays, estuaries, the surf, rivers, streams, creeks, hell I would fish a puddle if I thought there was a fish in it.
Surf fishing is hard to beat though, just for pure variety and the “never know what you will catch next” factor. Over the years I have both caught and watched others catch some really interesting stuff just surf fishing the guts and bars on the beaches.
Here is a list of the species I caught while on vacation in the Sanibel Island Surf…
- Spanish Mackerel
- Gafftop Sail Catfish
- Hard Head Catfish
- Jack Cravalle
- Blue Runner
- Speckled Sea Trout
It was an absolute blast. As always though when I am in a place where fishing is popular I see a ton of other fishermen. Some are really switched on, some are specialists, like the guys fly casting to snook. But there are always some who are well, just not quite “getting it”.
From rods that are too heavy to giant weights and hooks or God knows what else, you see a lot of things that just don’t work when you go fishing where others are fishing too. This got me thinking, why not do a TSP fishing series.
So we are going to start that today, here is the plan for all the shows in this series…
- Episode One -The basics of gear, rods, hooks, weights, reels, etc. (Today)
- Episode Two – Fishing rivers and streams
- Episode Three – Fishing the surf and bays and piers, etc.
- Episode Four – Lakes
- Episode Five – All about boats and hiring guides
- Episode Six – “Unconventional Methods” – Jugging, Trot Lines, Bank Lines, etc.
If there is anything else you would want added to that list, let me know. I am not going to focus much of artificals today but will pepper thoughts on them into most of the episodes as the situations discussed demand.
For Today this is What We Will Cover
- Rods and reels (bait casting, spinning, fly, cane, etc)
- Types of fishing line, mono, braided, fluoro
- Hooks, bait holder, khale, circle, long shank (Aberdeen and Siwash), treble
- Weights, split shots, casting, slip, rubber core and more
- Nets and gaffs
- Bait containers, stringers, coolers, etc
- Floats, round, stick, slip, fly bubbles, etc.
- Clippers, pliers, first aid stuff, hand towel, gloves, etc.
- Some basic tips that always apply
- Fish relate to structure and edges
- Use the lightest gear that is suitable
- If you are getting no action, move, change baits, etc. don’t just wait
- Talk to others, read “fishing reports”
- If you are going to fish often in one place keep notes
- Target species or “go for anything” based on the situation
- Learn “feel”, “hook set” and “play” (find easy action)
- Have fun, don’t overdue it
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1341
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
- Raw Fish at the Beach
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.