Welcome to the latest episode of The Survival Podcast, today’s episode is, “Azolla & Biochar: Nature’s Perfect Combination.” In this episode, we will explore the incredible synergy between Azolla and Biochar and how they can potentially revolutionize the world of agriculture.
Azolla is a tiny aquatic plant that has been around for millions of years and is known for its ability to fix nitrogen from the air. Biochar, on the other hand, is a type of charcoal that is produced from biomass and has been used for centuries as a soil amendment. Together, they create a powerful combination that can boost soil health, improve crop yields, and even sequester carbon from the atmosphere.
We will dive into the science behind the Azolla-Biochar combination and explore the benefits it can offer to farmers, communities, and the environment as a whole. I will discuss my experiences with using Azolla and Biochar on my own homestead and explore some ideas for various sized operations from homestead to mid sized commercial utilizing this natural combination.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The real beauty here is decentralization and an anyone can do this reality
- Biochar is easily made on even significant scale in a back yard
- Azolla can be grown just about anywhere when it isn’t freezing
- Uses for Biochar
- Soil amendment
- Feed additive
- Coop litter
- Worm bins
- Seed/food storage
- Heat and energy production
- Uses for Azolla
- Animal feed (best mixed with other feed)
- Plant fertilizer (only lacks phosphorus)
- Self composts and accelerates composting
- Fish feed (especially tilapia)
- Worm bins
- Growing Azolla
- Only needs a few inches of water
- Animal waste is the only nutrient source you need
- It doesn’t like to be too hot, doesn’t want full summer sun (30-40% shade is good)
- Once you have a mat across the surface you want to harvest daily or every other day
- Some things to know about biochar
- Primary outputs, biochar, heat, syngas, wood vinegar
- The more you get of one the less or lower the quality of the others
- Emissions restrictions can be draconian in some juristictions
- Some different sized operations and how this can all work together
- The basic homestead operations
- A small side hustle farmstead
- A urban farm green house operation
- A larger farm say 5-10 acres
- What can you come up with?
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
Sponsors of the Day
- Red Neck Hippy Duck Farmer Shirt – Small Front/Large Back Design
- Red Neck Hippy Duck Farmer Shirt – Large Front Design
- JM Bullion
- Ridge Wallet
- Urban Worm Bag Composting Bin – Item of the Day
Video Version of Today’s Podcast
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.