Tom is currently a graduate student/research assistant in an aquaculture research program. He has designed and built a 2000 gallon tilapia hatchery for an urban farm, manages 10 aquaculture ponds, 24 outdoor tanks, and 3 indoor recirculating systems, and co-manages two research aquaponic systems.
One of his interests is developing new aquaculture techniques based on permaculture principles and combining these with conventional techniques that are consistent with permaculture ethics. Thomas sees great possibilities for the incorporation of aquaculture into terrestrial permaculture farms, aquaculture focused permaculture farms, and small-scale aquaculture for homesteaders and preppers.
Join Tom and I as we discuss…
- Aquaculture for the prepper, the permaculturist and the many who are both
- Why aquaculture is sometimes a better choice than aquaponics
- How do I decide between aquaculture and aquaponics
- What types of fish can I raise
- What about raising invertebrates (oysters, shrimp/prawns, etc.)
- Why does everyone talk about tilapia, and is it a good choice for me to raise
- How do I choose what to raise
- What systems do I use to grow these animals
- What do I have to do to care for these animals
- How much time does it take
- Where do I get fish to grow and can I breed them
Resources for today’s show…
- Members Support Brigade
- The Year 1350
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Defense Consultants – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.