It is that time of year when things really start to change. In a lot of the country we still have summer heat but it is fading, the days are shorter, the nights longer and we all know the last quarter of the year tends to fly by in a bit of a blur. We go from kids trick or treating to turkey dinner to Christmas music in what feel more like weeks then months.
Gardens are transitioned for winter or put to bed until spring, live stock has new needs, sometimes some culling. We tend to focus on projects were prefer not to do in the heat of summer and enjoy a mix of downtime and working really hard at the same time.
What I have found over the years is getting ready now is the only way to get the most out of fall and winter. So many projects are something we will do “this winter” which tends to become next winter, then may be never. This is the time to assess what do you want done before the first freeze and what do you also need doing before the final one of the coming winter. Fill in those bookends and get going on making it happen.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The three specific areas to think about….
- Gardens, orchards, etc.
- Things I do every year
- Year end garden maintence
- Brush clearing &. chop and drop
- Compost making
- Pipe maintenance and cold weather prep
- Specific projects this year it will include
- Meat curing cabinet
- Additional irrigation based on my drip system
- Indoor aquarium rebuilds
- Revamp of our indoor hydroponics
- Lots of biochar
- Other things to think about
- Seed saving
- Food storage of surplus
- Some plain old down time is good too
Resources for today’s show…
- Find Me on Nostr
- Follow Me on Tik-Tok
- Article Explaining the GrowNostr Initiative
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
Sponsors of the Day
- Join the MSB Here
- K9 Academy – Train Yourself to Train Your Dog
- JM Bullion – Stack silver with free shipping and an MSB discount
- Redneck Hippy Duck Farmer T-Shirts at TspSwag.com
- The Self Reliance Festival in Camden TN – VIP Passes for SRF
- Get a Virtual Pass to the Self Reliance Festival
- K&H Ultimate All-In-One Stock Tank De-Icer – Item of the Day
Video Version of Today’s Show
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want all the Early TSP Episodes?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 80 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.