I recently got an email about getting new guns, not to pick on the guy but here it is to show the problem I want to fix today, some specifics redacted for privacy.
I have a different take on a gun build question. I would like your help in building the ultimate prepper / hunter / red neck arsenal starting from near zero.
Based on your expertise and the objectives I outline, I’d like you to tell me how many guns I should have, what calibers, what accessories, etc to most efficiently accomplish what I’m trying to do. Your budget is $5,000.
– I live in xxxx and have a ~50 acre ranch in xxxx, County. Ranch is overrun with brush and won’t get shots longer than 100 yards
– I will occasionally hunt with clients for work (I’m in high end sales)
– I can give you a little bit of a head start because I currently own a 70s-era 12 ga. Remington 1100 with new 26” and 30” barrels with remchoke. My dad is also going to pass on to me a 30+ year old 22 revolver and 22 rifle in the short term. Assume these are lower quality. Feel free to recommend replacements for any of these if you think appropriate, or just ignore if you think it makes a better question for the show.
My objectives, in descending order of importance, are
- 1) deer / hog hunting
- 2) side arm for protection from hogs/coyotes while working on my ranch
- 3) home protection / defense, including potentially concealed carry. Note, I have large hands so I would prefer a larger carry weapon for shooting comfort
- 4) teaching my young kids to shoot when they get old enough
- 5) skeet shooting, for me and my wife (should i get a 20 ga?)
- 6) large game (elk / bear) hunting on occasional hunting trips
- 7) upland game / waterfowl hunting
- 8) pest elimination (grackles, rabbits, etc)
- 9) zombie apocalypse
As I’ve thought about what to buy, a few questions I’ve considered are:
- 1) 9mm, 40, or 45 for handgun?
- 2) should I get something like a 270 for deer and a 300 win mag for larger game, or a 30-06 for everything?
- 3) does a pistol caliber carbine make sense for me?
Thank you Jack for all that you do. I’m really looking forward to your response.
Do you see the issue? The guy is actually on point with the basics but then expands to “all over the map”. Don’t feel bad James, I do this same shit too, every guy ever that decided to get a “new gun” or “new guns” does the same shit. Something like this as our friend stands at a counter waiting to talk to someone….
“The 6.5 Grendel is the most accurate round, I should get one, but what if I want to hunt elk, is that enough gun. I better ask on SomethingSomething Forum. No, I already know they will tell me I am stupid for that, I should get a 7MM Mag, but all I really hunt is deer for now and I have a deer gun. You now the 6.5 can be in an AR platform, that would be good but I can’t hunt with that in some states. H’mm I do like lever guns, they come in 45-70, that would knock down anything but what if I have a long shot.”
Finally the clerk saunters over and says, is there something I could show you and our friend says something like…
That Ruger revolver there in 357, do you have something similar to it in a 44 magnum?
Friends our grandfathers had is down, we will attempt to build a base for James on their wisdom and from the provide guidance into additional decisions. But let’s face it in the end asking a man to pick a single gun quickly for any need or want is like asking a kid in a penny candy store to pick a single piece of candy. He won’t be able to make a decision and he is gonna come with a hundred excuses as to why he needs another one.
Join Me Today to Discuss….
- The Wisdom of Our Grandfathers – “Beware of the man that carries only one gun“.
- Expanding it to one gun per specific thing, out grand parents had
- A 22 rifle
- A “hunting rifle”
- A shot gun
- Most of them had only that, a few also had
- A hand gun
- A specialty shot gun (turkey, goose,etc., quail)
- A 22 hand gun
- A 22 center fire or some other “small bore” rifle
- With this we will build our six piece modern core gun battery
- The 22 rifle
- The 22 hand gun
- The self defense hand gun
- The shot gun
- The “hunting rifle”
- The small bore rifle
- 1-2 Specialized guns
- Don’t over think this, go one at a time and have fun with it
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Radical Personal Finance
- You Ain’t Just Whistling Dixie on SongFacts
- You Ain’t Just Whistling Dixie – Bellamy Brothers
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.