The last few weeks have been a wirlwind of activity at the Spirko homestead. We had a workshop where over 30 students planted about 200 or more trees and bushes. But it didn’t stop there. Since that time I have been busy as hell so I can take the next ten days off and soak my butt on the beach in Florida.
Before I jet out in the AM, I figured a quick little recap of some of the more unique things I planted this year and why I planted them might make for a fun and more lighthearted show then we have recently had.
The goals I have had for the TSP homestead are really two fold. One of course is simply a diverse and heavily producing system. To accomplish this I planted a lot of the usual suspects, peaches, pecans, pears, apples and plums for instance. These plants are proven producers in my climate. The other goal though was to have an average person come on site during peak season and be able to actually eat a half dozen in season items that they had never even heard of.
The reason is that really opens up peoples mind as to what is possible. Some of this unusual stuff is really hardy for my climate and we know it will do. Others are marginal and we are using select micro climates to try to establish them.
Join Me Today As I Tell You About These Plants…
- Shipova (Link 1 – Link 2)
- Ivan’s Belle and Ivan’s Beauty Mountain Ash Hybrids (Link)
- Cornelian Cherry – (Link 1 – Link 2 – Link 3 – Link 4)
- Autumn Olive (Regular, Amber, Ruby and Garnet)
- Goji Berry (Link One – Link Two)
- Aronia (Link One – Link Two)
- Seaberry (Link One – Link Two – Link Three)
- Azarole (Red and Gold) (Link One – Link Two)
- Japanese/Chinese Mountain Yam – (Link One – Link Two)
- Air Potato – (Link)
- Mashua – (Link One – Link Two)
- Russian Tea (grown in Sochi on the Black Sea) – (Link)
- Dapple Dandy Pluot – (Link)
- Tlor-Tsiran apricot (Link)
- Honey Berry (Link One – Link Two)
- Goose Berry (Link One – Link Two – Link Three)
- Blue Elderberry (Link One – Link Two)
- White Pomegranite (Link)
- Pineapple Guava (Link One – Link Tw0)
- Arbequina Olive (Link One – Link Two)
- Chinquapin Tree (Link One – Link Two – Link Three)
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1339
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Next Level Training – (MSB Discount Vendor of the Day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.