Okay not everyone has winter downtime but many homesteaders do. Almost no one raises meat livestock though winter so the pigs, chickens etc. that were raised for meat are done for the year. While you may tool around in the green house most of the heavy gardening is over and most won’t be starting seeds even indoors until February.
The holidays are about to be in full swing so many take or just have days off of work. The majority of folks who hunt will be wrapping things up for the year in the next week or two. The deer will be butchered, sausage made, etc.
When I lived in PA I will admit I got a bit of “cabin fever” in January though early March. Now however I see this time of year to be some of my best time spent getting things done. Sure this has something to due with our relatively mild winters in Texas but more so it is about my current mindset.
We do get some butt cold days! Like in the teens, with freezing rain and 50mph wind gusts cold. You know what though, it is plenty warm in my shop on those days. All year long there are things I look at and think, “I need to get to that”. Once that gets said about something more than twice and it remains undone it goes on my list. It is amazing how easy that list is to work down in winter time.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The changing of seasons and their link to agrarian and horticultural societies
- The concept of “winter rest” and what I missed when I lived in the tropics
- STGD (shit to get done) in Winter
- First enjoy the downtime and the holidays
- Do an AAR and cost analysis of the past year
- Spend time with seed catalogs
- Sit down and map out projects, do take offs, etc.
- Set up your seed starting system
- Really enjoy some of your non homestead hobbies
- Make mead, brew beer, etc.
- Spend time doing skill set development
- Get into the content creation business (online business)
- Make bone broth, can soups, etc.
- Develop your cooking skills
- Set up and indoor growing system (fresh herbs)
- Work on training the dogs
- Construction projects – coops, chicken tractors, rabbit hutches, etc.
- Hatch and brood chicks, not it isn’t crazy I will tell you why
- Craigslist – some of the best deals are right now
- Real estate couch shopping – same thing on deals
- Shut off all the noise, enjoy a good drink, listen to good music, and relax
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- On this Day in 2009 Amanda Knox is Convicted of Murder in Italy
- More on the Amanda Knox Case
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Forum Post on Cool Seed Catalogs
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Find Your TSP Facebook Group for Your State
- Come on Eileen on SongFacts.com
- Come On Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.