Anyone that has followed me on TSP for any length of time, knows that I love herbs. I love them as the medicinal gifts of creation they are. I love them for the pollinators and predators they attract. I love them for how the enhance our foods. I love them for the teas they make. And I love them simply for how they look and smell on a warm afternoon.
Many people seem to think of growing herbs sort of as an after thought. Or they think of them only in a dedicated space, an “herb garden”. To me they are best planted right with our crops, right in our flower beds and everywhere and anywhere in margins and edges. Why? For a few reasons…
- It is what nature does, mimicking nature is almost always a good choice
- If you want the pollinators and predators in your garden put what attracts them in your garden
- As to planting edges and margins, it displaces “weeds” and maximizes productivity
- Lastly herbs are tough, many are almost weed like, they can grow almost anywhere
This doesn’t mean I am anti herb garden, I think that is a great idea as well, I just think doing that and more makes a ton of sense. Today we are going to look at 20 herbs, why I love them, what they do and how to grow them.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why herbs are a “survival topic”
- The primary uses of herbs
- Culinary and Teas
- Predator and Pollinator Habitat
- Filling Spaces before Nature Does
- Nutrient Accumulators – Mulch – Compost – etc.
- Twenty Herbs to Consider Growing
- Lamb’s Quarter
- Bergamot (Bee Balm)
- Lemon Balm
- Garlic (wild and domestic)
- Echinacea (Purple coneflower)
- Please note if your favorite herb is not on the list it is not herbal discrimination
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- MSB Seed Vendors (see the Benefits Section of the MSB for Discount Info)
- Four Part Series on Herbal Action
- All About Comfrey the Miracle Plant
- Mint the Plant Anyone Could and Should Grow
- Traveller on Song Facts
- Traveller – Chris Stapelton
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.