I want to do some back to basics shows, this one very basic. Many of us have bug out bags, aka BOBs. Some are very advanced and use a lot of specialized equipment. There is a place for such things. But some folks are so proud of their kitted up BOBs that when they talk about them newer folks to prepping get paralized.
As in well I need special forces ration bars, a solar panel, top notch ultralight rain gear, a 500 dollar survival knife, etc, etc, etc
And you know what folks, due to the quest for perfection and letting perfect be the enemy of the good, we have a ton of folks our there who prep but they don’t even have a decent BOB.
To be honest my main advice is prep for bugging in first and foremost. At home many of your survival needs are seen to, shelter is a big one, if nothing else you have a roof over your head. But what if disaster strikes when you are not home? Or what if that roof isn’t over your head, what if a storm take it off? What if you have to leave for the night or several due to something as basic as a medical emergency of a family member.
Every bit of that and more has happened to members of this audience, I have received countless “My BOB Saved My Butt” type emails ranging from the mundane to the insane.
Today we talk about simply getting a basic BOB done and doing it fast and cheap along with a few items to keep in your vehicles to supplement what you can and can’t realistically carry in your BOB.
The jist of today’s show is as follows, it is better that you have a very basic BOB that is lacking in a few areas then to have no BOB and be waiting for the budget, time, etc. to build a perfect one. In other words there will be tons of opportunity to say things like, “but what about ______” but that isn’t the point today. It is the basics, the minimum and a way to do it super fast, super cheap and build from there.
Join Me Today to Discuss
- What is a BOB, what it is not
- Why do you need a BOB
- What is a BOBs biggest limitations
- The First Items You Need
- Clothing (3 days; not three outfits)
- Towel and wash cloth
- Personal Kit (saving, deodorant, toothpaste etc in ziplocks)
- Toilet Paper – in ziplocks (zlb)
- A decent knife
- A decent multi tool
- Duct Tape
- Zip Ties (reusable are awesome)
- Cordage – bank line, paracord, rope, what you can get
- Beef Jerkey
- Pringles Chips
- Canned Meats etc. – pull tab is best
- Crackers – packed so they won’t crush
- Peanut butter
- Granola Bars – crunchy
- What ever you want but be realistic
- Containers, Odds, Ends
- Good water bottle (aluminum)
- 2-4 Contractor Grade Garbage Bags
- 2-4 Large Ziplock Bags – at least one gallon
- Insect Repellent
- Flask of Whiskey/Vodka etc.
- Fire and Energy
- Basic FAK – First Aid Kit
- OTC Pain Meds
- Antibiotic Ointment
- Gauze Pads
- Two clean handkerchiefs
- Some Final Thoughts
- Cash is best on your person but I’d not fault you for putting some in a BOB
- Carry as much water as you can but keep a lot in your car/truck/work area
- Store extra food in your car
- Store blankets, etc. anything bulky in your car, under seats, etc
- Tents suck, but they are better then nothing
- Remember why you really have this bag, it ain’t to play Jack Bauer
- Get a Scanner App for Your Phone
- Get the Skype App for Your Phone
- Get the Zello App
- Never let perfect be the enemy of the good
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1671
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Flesh and Bone – Jimmy Buffett
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council that can answer you questions. If you have a question send it to jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with TSPC Epert in the subject line. Ask your question in one to two sentences so it is clear then provide any additional details. Make sure to tell me what council member the question is for. You Meet the Expert Council at this Link.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.