Today we are back after the 4th of July with the number one voted on show for July’s Tuesday “Just Jack” shows. I didn’t really expect this topic to do well, it was just something on a lark, may be people will like it.
Though as I have often said cooking may be the most relevant of all modern survival topics in our daily lives. The benefits are numerous, real, relevant and frankly immediate.
Think about cooking this way, it is the preparation or preservation of food. What is more relevant to our daily survival and long term welfare than that?
Additionally it has both immediate and long term positive impacts on our wallets and our health. Show me a family that eats out 5 times a week and I will show you one bleeding money. Show me a family that eats processed foods 5 times a week and I will show you one destroying their health.
Do you realize that in some households no one ever actually cooks anything. I know of families where 100% of food is restaurant, take out or delivery. Seriously!
The thing with cooking is it can be intimidating. No one wants to mess up and make a bad meal. Want the secret to cooking, GET THE F OVER IT and just drive on. To this day I still occasionally screw something up, over cook something, make it too spicy for my wife, etc. I never even let people tell me something is good when I know I did something wrong. But the way forward is “duly noted, don’t do that again, move on”.
Today we look at 15 items for your kitchen, how to use them and how they fit into making great food at home, storing food for the future and enjoying it all at the same time.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- General thoughts on pots and pans
- Cast iron for frying and searing
- Stainless steel for stock pots, soups, boiling, etc
- Non stick for large frying jobs
- Stainless steel for oven roasting
- Crock Pots / Slow Cookers
- Brand is not hugely important, look for quality
- My 15 Items for Today
- Chard Electric Pressure Cooker/Canner
- The Ringer
- Microplane Zester/Grater
- Dexter-Russell Steel and Walnut Spatula
- Guy Fieri Granite Molcajete
- RedYetiWare Kitchen Shears, Come-Apart
- Cutting Board
- Chefs Knife
- Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler
- OXO Steel Swivel Peeler
- French Press by Kitchen Supreme
- Mr. Coffee IDS77 – Coffee/Spice Grinder
- Hamilton Beach 40880 Electric Kettle
- Zicome 4 Silicone Basting Grill Brushes
- Meat Thermometer
- Hamilton Beach 10 Cup Compact Food Processor
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1820
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Born Country – Alabama
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.