Today we are going to go over some of the things you should be thinking about in regard to gardening during winter when it is often over looked. We do have to start out on two things from the political realm and the Obama campaign though. First a statement by Senator Biden that was inaccurately presented by Fox News (note I like Fox News and despise Senator Biden but facts are facts even when I don’t like them). Then on comments made by Barak Obama in 2001 on a Chicago radio station that are quite chilling to hear.
Tune in today to hear…
On Politics – Sorry to those who are not into the political stuff but we are about a week from the election and this news needs to be discussed (briefly) from a true independent view point.
- How Fox News totally mis presented Joe Biden’s reaction to the question “is Obama a Marxist”.
- How I actually agree tactically with the Biden/Obama decision not to do interviews with the Orlando station going forward
- How Fox News irresponsibly inferred that the entire station was “shut down”
- How Obama really is a Marxist in his own words calling for “the redistribution of wealth”
- Obama feels the fact that “it is a tragedy that redistribution of wealth wasn’t part of the civil rights movement”
- Why we are screwed economically with McCain or Obama
On Winter Gardening
- Why now is the time to plan for next year even if you don’t grow anything during the winter
- Why wide beds out preform narrow beds and my minimum bed width rules
- How I learned by mistake not to make beds to wide or narrow
- Why winter (or late fall or very early spring) is a heck of a better time to be digging new beds then the summer
- Now is the time to add raised beds for next year and to plant nitrogen producing crops in some warmer climates
- Thoughts on the Springhouse Portable Greenhouse
- Raised beds with or with out walls
- Considering “slopes” when planning for beds with or with out walls
- Great winter crops – spinach, chard, broccoli, cabbage, lettuces, onions and garlic
- The mistake of not working the soil below your beds added soil
- Why crops grow better with soil that has been worked deeper – the lesson of the carrort
- How working soil deeper improves water retention and utilization
- Hey joy of no or few “pests” in the winter – bugs die when it freezes
- Thoughts on greenhouses for starting seeds not just for growing winter crops
- Why starting your own seeds makes a LOT more sense then buying plants
- Control your plating time by seed starting in the winter
- Getting involved with our forum
Resources and Links for Today’s show
- Biden’s Video Interview – Is Obama a Marxist – He did answer the question and said no! He also lied because the Obama campaign gave Acorn 800,000 dollars just not specifically to “register voters”
- Obama’s comments on wealth redistribution – He is a Marxist! Just listen to his words and think about what he is saying. Not redistrituing wealth is a failure?
- DIY Article on Raised Bed Gardening
- Flowerhouse.com US Site for Springhouse Greenhouses
- The Springhouse Greenhouse I am ordering for myself
- Good information on when to plant fall and winter crops
- The Farmer’s Almanac on what and when to plant – huge free resource! customize for your area too.