The following is an information update prepared by the Board of Directors and the support team codenamed “Team Blackjack” (Note – Team Blackjack was chosen because the original team was 21 members, it has nothing to do with my name).
For IMMEDIATE Release:
Citizens Helping Citizens, INC
March 1st, 2013
Update from Team Black Jack regarding The Survival Podcast Disaster Response Team.
– Jack’s original idea has been brought to life by a team of dedicated individuals all with a desire to help their fellow citizens in time of need.
Where we are at:
-The corporation has been formed, it was filed in Colorado. The Board of Directors has been elected and voted to name the the non-profit “Citizens Assisting Citizens, Inc.” CAC for short and for legal reasons to distance itself from the TSP-DRT name.
Citizens Assisting Citizens (CAC) was chosen to differentiate us from governmental agencies and other non-governmental organizations. The Board felt that the name provided a short but concise description of the non-profit’s broader goals.
-The Board of Directors and the Executive Director were elected from the original group of Honchos. Those who were elected are:
- John Ackley from Pennsylvania
- Furman Baker from Alabama
- Mike Damkot form Virginia
- Greg Gray from Texas
- Jack Spirko also from Texas
- Tim Priebe from Colorado
- Mark Sharman also from Colorado
- and Tom Patterson from Arkansas as the Executive Director.
The Board of Directors will set the direction and mission of the CAC and handle the operations of the corporation.
The Executive Director will have the responsibility of guiding the larger vision.
The rest of the Honchos will be assisting in the set up of CAC and work together as an advisory board for items such as training requirements, etc.
-The BOD is currently formalizing the general direction that CAC will embark on and completing all of the administrative details. The current items that we are actively working on are the By-laws and the IRS non-profit filing.
What it means:
-Things may appear quiet now but the TSP-DRT will soon be ready to provide its services in times of need.
-We are laying the foundation for a solid, professional organization.
-The Survival Podcast’s Disaster Response Team will soon be looking for people to help (hopefully not to a town near you!)
Once the foundation has been laid, the call will go out for those who want to be the “boots on the ground”. Training requirements will be decided on and announced soon. We are projecting that the call for signing up volunteers will begin in the spring.
– For more info see TSP Episode 1018 from Nov 12, 2012 and the TSP Disaster Response Team area of the TSP Forum. There are also forum threads for updates and a suggestion box for any brainstorm ideas from the community.