Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally and was originally Episode-1371- All About Comfrey the Miracle Plant and was first published on July, 19th, 2014.
The following are the original show notes from that episode…
Why do I call comfrey a miracle plant? Well if I said their was one plant that could help heal broken bones, speed wound healing, heal skin ulcers that nothing else could close, provide fertilizer, provide mulch, feed livestock and be as easy to grow as breaking off a piece of a root and sticking it in the dirt, what would you call it?
Comfrey does all of these things and frankly more. It also has a very undeserved bad reputation as being toxic if used internally. In fact some over zealous nanny state types even caution against using it externally.
I am not really sure if the misinformation about comfrey is simply tea cup protectionism run a muck or an outright slander campaign. And while I can’t advise you to use comfrey internally, because it is illegal for me to do so, what I will say is at times I do and I certainly am not dead or ill from doing so.
Even if you plan to never use comfrey internally it is still a plant every person should grow and be familiar with. Its uses are too many to ignore and further it is so easy to grow and propagate there is no reason not to.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- What exactly is comfrey
- Why are we told comfrey is toxic
- What is wrong with the research done to say it is toxic
- What are the main comfrey types and what does Bocking mean?
- How do you propagate comfrey
- From seed (“wild comfrey” only)
- From root cuttings, crowns, etc.
- From tiny cuttings (make a lot fast)
- Growing out cuttings in containers to multiply results fast
- How I would propagate lots of roots fast if I wanted to
- Uses for Comfrey
- As fodder for cows, chickens, pigs, geese, etc. what you need to know
- As fertilizer
- Awesome NPK Ratio 1.8-0.5-5.3
- A Dynamic Accumulator of Si, N, Mg, Ca, K & Fe
- Making Liquid Fertilizer
- Leaf Boosting
- For Medicinal Use
- On wounds and ulcers
- On bites and stings
- On broken bones and sprains
- On bruises
- Internally (this is illegal)
- Making oils and salves
- Rules for successful comfrey patches
- Keep it “clean, cut and fed”
- Grass can and will choke out comfrey
- You can graze it, best to do when you would have cut it
- I prefer a distributed model but might do a propagation patch
- Sources of Comfrey
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Impressive Soil Test Results from Comfrey Use
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.