Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-80 The Perfect Survivalist Homestead Retreat and was first published on Oct. 24th, 2008.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
Today we will explore some of the often considered as well as the often over looked characteristics that make up a perfect homestead for the survival minded individual in modern times.
Tune in today to hear…
- How “perfect” is possible but different for each family or individual
- The system of checks and balances that applies to all real estate choices
- The difference between a home with a job attached an just a homestead
- The importance of water availability on property and thoughts on ponds, wells, etc.
- Considering potential for both permaculture and argriculture
- Small Farm, Hobby Farm or Just a Garden -think about it
- Calculate your total cost of ownership before you buy
- Evaluation of the potential for annexation and increased taxes
- Considering insurance costs and requirements
- Distances from services, support and friends and family
- Off grid advantages and disadvantages
- The potential to run or operate a business or work from home
- Realistic cost reductions and unrealistic ones as well
- What is your version of my “back yard rifle range” – make sure you can have it
- Thoughts on being a good neighbor when moving to a new community
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show.