Today’s episode was originally, Episode-1976- Why I Switched to Aquaponics and was first published on April 4th, 2017.
Here are some resources mentioned in today’s new introduction. The video playlist of the new aquaponics project is here and the Gerber EAB Lite Item of the Day his here.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
Right out of the gate “switched” may not be the best word here, but it certainly applies to my growing of annual vegetables. It may have been a better title to have said, “Why I Changed My Mind About Aquaponics. Today I want to take a new look at aquaponics and try to demystify it a bit so that it is a bit more approachable at the small end of the scale to anyone.
The reality though is until recently I always looked at aquaponics this way, “what a great thing, for other people to do”. I wasn’t opposed to it, I just had my own ways and well they worked. Well until I moved to this limestone ledge we call a farm.
I met a good friend named David and he told me how much food they were producing on their small property and together we designed the systems I now run on my property. Today I will talk about them and give you some simple ways to get started for a few hundred dollars with 100% off the shelf prices.
Join Me Today to Discuss….
- What is aquaponics in a nut shell
- The three main grow beds and what they are best for
- Ebb and Flow (aka flood and drain)
- Deep Water Raft
- Wicking Beds
- Additional components
- Choosing a Pump
- What makes a bulkhead a good bulkhead
- The basics of a bell siphon
- A simple flood and drain system and a few options on building it
- 100 Gallon Stock Tank with 4 Ebb and Flow Beds $310.00
- 150 Gallon Stock Tank with 6 or more Ebb and Flow Beds $460.00
- 3 x 100 Gallon Stock Tanks with 6 or more Ebb and Flow Beds $560.00
- 300 Gallon Stock Tank with 6 or more Ebb and Flow Beds $570.00
- Add $90.00 to the above prices for the larger pump
- Incorporating deep water or wicking into these designs
- The value of shade cloth or eastern sun and western shade
- Some additional ideas and thoughts
- Adding a duck weed biofilter bed
- How to make an “aquarium siphon”
- Protecting your pump with a bucket or a bag
- When IBCs make a lot of sense
- Lava Rock, Expanded Shale and Expanded Clay Pebbles
- Plant propagation with ebb and flow
- Replanting produce with ebb and flow
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1976
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- My Playlist on Aquatic and Aquaponic Systems
- Rob Bob’s Backyard Farming Channel – Lots of Aquaponics
- Rubbermaid Stock Tanks at Tractor Supply
- The 3/4 inch bulkheads for the concrete food and drain beds
- Pump I recommend for larger systems (I use this in my aquatic system of garden ponds)
- Pump I recommend for small systems (huge bang for the buck)
- Danner Pond Pump Protection Bag
- Python Aquarium Vacuum
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.