Today’s episode was originally, Episode-521- Why I Think The Way I Do and was originally published on September 30th, 2010.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
When I talk to folks that have not listened to TSP and they ask me what I do today I generally start with “I run a podcast”, many then need to have me explain what a podcast is. Often there is disbelief that this is actually what I do for a living but soon the questions begin about “well what is your show about?”
I often soft sell it at first and start with, “I do a show about self reliance and self sufficiency, about how to do everything from stay out of debt to growing your own food and being prepared for things like natural disasters”.
I generally now find myself with one of three types of people…
- The true the world is going to end believer – They are the worst of the three! Generally I start hearing about The Book of Revelation, etc.
- The prepper/modern survivalist – recently some of these types have even gone, OH YOUR THAT GUY! This is kind of cool when it happens.
- The person who hasn’t really thought about it. – I love meeting these people! Most want to know more if for no other reason that the fact that I don’t have a j-o-b just doesn’t make sense
Eventually though we get into some level of philosophical discussion and unless the person is a listener they are always some what surprised by my view. Most want to know why I have the beliefs I do, why I don’t fully trust the system but don’t write it fully off either and why even though I am a “survivalist” I seem so moderate and well, normal. I am not sure how “normal” I really am but I figured if total strangers wanted to know about this stuff than perhaps your guys would as well.
Join me today as I tell you about my life and why I think the way I do including…
- My family was poor, but I never knew that to be the case
- I grew up in the woods and holding a rifle
- I have grown food almost my entire life (took a break in the Army)
- I served in the military in the 3rd World
- I became “successful” in the main stream world
- I am a “trouble shooter” (aka problem solver)
- I analyze anything I find interesting
- I remember the details of things, like in a freaky sort of way
- I am never satisfied that I have learned enough
- I know the reality of how fragile life and life styles are
- To me liberty is the most precious thing a man can have
- I gave up on political affiliation
- I have given up as much of my personal prejudice as I am humanly capable of
- I accept that I am at times going to be completely wrong
- I know I can’t predict the future but I can be prepared for it anyway
- I believe above all else that I am in control of my life, I know I am NOT a victim
- I recognize modern slavery as self inflicted
- I want to help others but understand in the end they must choose for themselves
- I most want people to know WHY they believe WHAT they believe
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- One Year Anniversary Show
- Members Support Brigade
- Ron Hood’s Survival.com Magazine
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.