Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-767- Winter is Coming Are You Ready and originally aired on Oct 2oth, 2011. The notes below are the original notes from that episode.
So today for the first time when I took the dog for a walk in the early morning there was frost on the car and trucks. I actually put on my Carhart vs my windbreaker and even put my free (non coffee holding) hand in my pocket for a bit of warmth.
Of course that means winter is on its way. Sure we have a few months of “fall” to go, at least in the south but this is the time of the year where things seem to accelerate.
So in the tradition of the ant and the grasshopper today I say, winter is coming, are you ready? If not let’s talk about getting there.
My hope is that this show will make each listener consider and shore up just one or two places that they have put off or forgotten about in preparation for the coming winter.
Some of these choices are about life and death and others are just about preserving some of the special times of the season, like family visiting during the holidays in relative comfort. Others may not save your life but may save you hundreds or thousands of dollars by preventing damage due to winter weather events.
Join me Today as we Discuss…
- Winter Prepping the home
- Furnace inspection
- Fireplace cleaning
- Wood/gas/pellet stove test run
- CO Dectors
- Back up heating options
- Inventory fuel and assess requirements
- Hose bib protection
- Check up on your kits
- Back up lighting
- Considering a generator
- Winter Prepping the Car
- Oil Change – (proper weight)
- Wiper blade upgrade and ice scrapers
- Freeze resistant windshield washer
- Clean and care for your battery
- Fuel and air filters
- Check belts and hoses
- Consider snow tires
- Check out the 4×4
- Flush and replace antifreeze coolant
- Make sure the spare tire has air
- Make sure you have jumper cables
- Extra fuel if it is practical
- The winter car/truck kit
- Cold weather gear
- Water and food
- Traction material (salt, cat liter, etc)
- A come along or winch
- A good stable jack
- Inspect and account for spare tire tools
- Consider a tool like the PowerDomeEX
- Emergency radio
- Cell phone chargers
- Fire starting material
- Common Sense Procedures
- Estimate travel times and make sure someone is aware of your plans
- Sometimes DON’T GO is the only answer
- Keep all items charged and fresh batteries around
- Test anything you answer a “what if” question with
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.