I have done shows on training dogs before, likely the best one was Episode-1797- Training Dogs to Fit in on the Homestead. Today’s show is in that vein but not really about training, rather how to understand dogs so you are a better trainer and companion to your dogs.
I want to say as well today, that I don’t consider myself a dog professional, a dog psychologist, a dogologist, a dog savant, etc. I do consider myself to be a “dog person” or in my wife’s misspoken term a “dog animal” (yea she really said that once).
By this I mean I have what people perceive as a “way with dogs”. Dogs that won’t listen to others will often listen to me almost instantly. Dogs that do not trust strangers will often trust me fairly quickly etc. This is something many people consider a “gift” but it is really just an understanding. In short I know how dogs think, so unless the dog is just an asshole dog (they do exist), someone has really ruined the dog or the dog is practically feral, I can generally instantly form a bond with it.
Tune in Today to Learn…
- Wild canine pack structure and why it isn’t an exact coralary
- How domestic dogs differ from say fully tame, raised from puppy wolves
- How every dog is “dangerous”
- Why your dog absolutely NEEDS you to be in charge for it to be happy
- What trainers really mean by “calm assertive energy”
- Some of my rules when training, correcting, and working with dogs
- No correction absent a connection
- Believe the dog will do as you want at all times
- Limit training to the dogs attention span
- Reward about 5 to 1 as a ratio of affection to food rewards
- Canine teeth do not touch human flesh (puppy and play exceptions)
- Don’t get angry the dog will know you are angry but not why
- Stop talking to your dog in a baby voice, most of the time anyway
- A command is a command, not a request
- Accept that some breeds have intrinsic characteristics (limitations)
- Dogs train each other, this is both good and bad
- Your job in 6 words (make success easy and failure difficult)
- Yes old dogs can learn new tricks, they usually want to
- Physical correction can be uncomfortable but should not be painful
- Don’t “shame a dog”, it is pointless and stupid, the dog doesn’t get it
- Never harm your relationship and trust with an animal, ever
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 120
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Biltong For Breakfast
- What if Dog’s Think We are Immortals
- The Story Behind When the Coast is Clear
- When the Coast is Clear – Jimmy Buffett
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.