Today’s episode was originally, Episode-383- 10 Uncommon Edible Plants for Every Backyard and was first published on Feb. 22nd, 2010.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
Today we discuss 10 edible plants that are not very common in most backyards or stores and the unique advantages they offer the modern survivalists concerned with producing their own food. Each of these plants offers unique advantages to the backyard and small homestead grower. Advantages such as good nutritional profiles, disease resistance, ease in seed saving, heat tolerance and more.
Note that the seed sources below are comprised of many sources. You can get many of these seeds from multiple providers. I just wanted the opportunity today to expose you today to a variety of solid providers of organic and non GMO seed.
Join me today as we discuss the following unusual edible plants…
- Orach (seed source) – MSB Members get free shipping from this source
- Ground Cherries (seed source)
- Calendula (seed source) – Just found this source, cool stuff and good prices!
- Sunberry (seed source) – Seed Savers is the only source I know of for this variety
- Huanzontle (pronounced “wah-zont-lay” (seed source)
- Asian Long Beans (seed source red noodle) (seed source black seeded)
- New Zealand Spinach (seed source)
- Amaranth (seed source)
- Lambs Quarters (seed source)
- Buckwheat (seed source) – MSB Members get 10% off from this source
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- SOE Tactical Gear – (sponsor of the day)
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- Good article on growing buckwheat
- How to harvest amaranth grain
- Article on growing huanuzontle
- Growing Lambs Quarters
- TSP’s YouTube Channel
- The Rifleman Radio Show (I will be a guest on Feb 23rd that is tomorrow)
- Truth Brigade (I will be a guest on March 3rd)
- Mastering the 22 Rifle (my eBook due out soon)
- Ron Hood’s Survival.com Magazine
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.