Well the time is approaching rapidly that we will be in the full swing of fall harvesting and even planting the fall gardens. With temps are or near 100 in many parts of the nation today it may seem a long way off, yet it isn’t, cooler weather and the bounty of the garden and the field are just around the corner.
As we turn our focus to harvest both of garden and game it is a good time to discuss what to do with it all. You can only eat so much fresh, your neighbors will only smile about so many free zucchinis. You worked hard for it, when it comes to game it is also hard work, time and money, today we talk about making it last.
Join Me Today as we Discuss…
- What is blanching
- The easiest method – dehydration
- The closest to fresh method – flash freezing
- Canning – pressure and steam
- Brewing and vinting
- Making liquor
- Smoking vs. curing
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Emergency Essentials – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Blanching Methods and Times for Vegetables
- Making Blackberry Liquor – Slightly Different from my method
- Making Liquors and Cordials at Home – Great little book
- Wild Fermentation – Awesome Book on making fermented foods
- Curing Meat by UtahPreppers
- National Center for Home Food Preservation on Curing and Smoking
- Brining Chicken – Try this than hot smoke the bird with a side box smoker
- Make an electric smoker with a garbage can – really cool!
- Making Sauerkraut
- Canning Sauerkraut
- Making Crock Pickles
- Chow Chow – Pennsylvania Style!
- Chutney Recipes
- Zucchini Relish Recipes
- 5 Minute Microwave Canning – YEP it works!
- Homemade Bacon
- Great collection of fermented food recipies
- Making Biltong – (video by me)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.