Today I want to discuss the concept of critical thinking and how we are often led by those in power. How many “issues” are presented to divide us yet they really shouldn’t. Most if actually examined critically would result in people either realizing the issue doesn’t matter and nothing should be done, or in general agreeing on the solution.
Those in charge can’t have this, a people divided are easily led, in fact a divided people given their consent to being controlled, having liberty taken and are in general okay with the oppression of their fellow man.
Way back in September of 2009, I did episode 269, in it I came up with a series of questions called, “The Issues Test” today I am going to revisit those questions. While I am sure today’s show will have some similarities to the original, I am willing to be a lot will be new and different. It has been over 4.5 years since I did that original early TSP episode.
Along the way I have evolved my thinking. In some ways I am far more the pessimist, in regard to political solutions and government anyway. In others I am far more optimistic, in regard to human beings and individual solutions. I guess that makes me a realist! Sometimes people really seem to dislike the realist! Whether mired in apathy, pessimism or illogical optimism, people seldom want their fantasies disrupted.
Today instead of disrupting your fantasies about the world I would prefer to discuss how you can do so for yourself. There is a lot to be done in this world, one must accept reality and not be misled if one is to accomplish anything meaningful.
The first time I went though this list of questions it was mainly related to legislative actions. This time I am taking a more universal approach. I believe it can be applied to news stories, life decisions, business choices, you name it.
Today We Revisit the Issues Test…
- Will it effect me? (me meaning us, the average American)
- Does it increase or decrease the power of government?
- Is it Constitutional?
- Does it make people that agree on 95% of issues fight amongst themselves?
- What is it going to cost us? What is our ROI on it?
- Who is paying for it? Who benefits the most financially?
- Is my personal prejudice or bias influencing my judgment on this?
- What happens if we take this action?
- What happens if we don’t do anything?
- Does it set up the future potential for government intrusion in more areas?
- Do I really need to be “for” or “against” this issue?
- If we only focused on issues that “passed the test” what would be left?
- How would that effect the ability of our government to bullshit us?
- If everyone did this, would we know “what we believe” and “why we believe it”?
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1336
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
- Safe Castle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Terroir Seeds – (MSB Discounter of the day, 10% off)
- Episode 269- The First Time I Went Over this List
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.