A few of you guys have asked for a few shows that get a bit away from the homesteading/permaculture stuff and a bit deeper into some of the other more typical “survival topics” we have covered before. Today we do the first of a few shows I have planned to answer that need.
Today we discuss remote land/home ownership and the unique advantages and challenges it represents. Far to many see a BOL solely as a place for when the shit has really hit the fan, like TEOTWAWKI level stuff. The reality is a BOL serves a variety of functions.
In our case we haven’t had a BOL since 2011 when we moved to Arkansas to a place that had been serving as such for about 6 years at that time. After a shot stint up there of about two years, it was clear my wife’s heart was in Texas. We decided to sell the remote property and use the gains to improve our new homestead in Texas.
Once again now I find myself scouring places like LandsOfTexas.com, LandWatch.com and UnitedCountry.com looking for that perfect get away property. This time my goals are a bit different, yours may be more like my first property, the one I am looking for now or something entirely different. The purpose of today’s show is to help you find the right property for your needs. Further to decide if having such a property is even right for you at all.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why would you want a remote property
- Fall back location
- What I think makes a property desirable
- Near a Small Town
- Good Neighbors
- No Restrictions
- Questions to ask yourself
- Are there other things I really should do first
- Can I really afford it
- How often will I really use it
- What do I most want out of it
- Thoughts on “Teaming Up”
- It can work, everyone just needs to be clear going in
- Look for people with common goals and values
- Define use and define guests very clearly
- Decide between common ownership and defined areas going in
- I would likely only do this if all parties could pay cash going in
- There are many advantages to teaming up
- Final thoughts on BOLs
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1329
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Defense Consultants– (sponsor of the day)
- The Soil Cube – (Discount Vendor of the Day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.