Join me for a conversation with Kermit Jones about Prepping with Kids: Don’t Scare – Prepare! Kermit is the author of a new children’s book series based on the character “Prepper Pete” who is the star character of Kermit’s first book, “Prepper Pete Prepares“.
Prepping makes complete sense – to those who prepare. But we all know the blank stares, looks of confusion, and even snickers that sometimes come when we try to explain our reasons to others.
I mean, how do explain the obvious, right?
But even if your in-laws, out-laws, friends or family, just don’t “get it” – you can’t escape the need to prepare those who literally depend on you – your children.
If you’ve seen shows like “Doomsday Preppers” – then you’ve got a pretty nifty list of what NOT to do. Going through a dry-run with you kids can be a great way to bond, but sometimes “how” you do something is just as important (if not more so) than “what” you do. In fact, you can teach a lot of skills to your kids without ever mentioning the end of the world, zombies, or even disasters.
For example, Kermit wanted to show his kids how to make a fire with a magnesium fire starter (with the flint down the side). Now, he could have said, “Okay, daddy’s gonna show you how to use this because one day your life may depend on it, and if you can’t figure it out, you’re gonna freeze to death or be eaten by wild animals in the pitch black of night!”
Sure, that would have gotten the point across, but is it really necessary!?
Instead, his approach took a slightly different approach: “Hey, how would you like to learn to make fire without using matches or a lighter!?” Oooooh… a little excitement combined with a fun challenge.
“And we’ll even make s’mores with it!” Instant sell.
During the process, they were still able to discuss types of tinder, kindling, fire-building philosophies and the like. Because it was tied to something emotionally important to them (yes, the s’mores), this way kids not only remember, but they want to do it again in the near future!
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1291
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Simply Cleansing – (MSB Discount Vendor of the Day)
- Prepper Pete Prepares – Kermit’s Website
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.