Gloria Flora founded and directs the U.S. Biochar Initiative (USBI) as a project of her non-profit, Sustainable Obtainable Solutions. Through USBI, Gloria promotes the sustainable production and use of biochar.
Biochar fits in the nexus of her work in large landscape conservation strategies, climate change action, forest health collaborative, public land sustainability and as well as her permaculture passion. Last century she served 23 years in the U.S. Forest Service, including as Forest Supervisor on two national forests.
Gloria and her husband are growing TerraFlora Sylvanculture Learning Center focused on permaculture in forested environments. Flora’s won many awards for environmental leadership and action, including having a new species of a Tanzanian toad named after her.
Join Us Today to Discuss…
- What is biochar? Isn’t it just charcoal
- How does biochar make soils more productive
- Who discovered biochar
- What kind of feedstock can you use to make biochar
- Why should we care about biomass
- What other uses does biochar have besides amending soil
- How can biochar production be carbon neutral or negative
- How can I make biochar at home
- Can I buy biochar if I can’t make it
- Where can you get more information on biochar
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1602
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Duck Chronicles – Video Series
- Backwoods Home – (sponsor of the day)
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- US Biochar Initiative
- Backyard Biochar Article on the Cone Kiln
Note – Additional resource links will be added as soon as I receive them from Gloria.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.