I put out a simple post on the TSP Facebook page yesterday, it simply said, “Hey TSP Nation, what do you want tomorrow’s show to be about“? I was kind of blown away but how fast so many great ideas came in. Frankly I think I am going to busy for months now. Some of the requests are great but I need more than one day to put them together.
There was one though that I realized I have never done, simply how to become a teacher. Now not a school teacher, or even say a bush craft teacher but just a teacher in general. What makes a great teacher? What makes a student want to learn? I will try to explain what I think about that today. I will also explain my philosophy on teaching and why everyone should be both student and teacher.
Teaching is a skill, that is great, it means teachers are not borne they are made. It is true that some people have natural talents and that makes them better teachers but we can all develop the skill to be a good teacher. Teaching isn’t hard, it is learning something and helping someone else do what you already did. We have been lied to here like in many other places, teachers are not heroes with magical powers granted to them by the state and university, they are just people, nothing more.
Again some individuals may be very talented story tellers, speakers, etc. Said people will be great teachers but you should never see that is why you can’t teach. What if you did that with running? I can run, hell I can run very well. I am sure a being without human legs would be quite impressed by my coordination and speed. Yet by our standards I am slow, very slow, does this mean I should never run? Does this mean I can’t run? Does this mean I could not become a better runner? Teaching is the same.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- What do teachers mean when they say they want parents “involved in education”
- Why you have to let go of the “academic teacher view” to be a great teacher
- The formula to become a great teacher
- Develop passion for things that are important to you
- Develop knowledge and experience about those things
- Show and tell others about them
- The formula to develop skills as a teacher
- Learn to tell stories
- Learn to use analogies
- Learn to see connections and patterns
- Why teaching is so beneficial to the teacher
- How this concept can change the world for the better
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1423
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Great Big AgriTrue Contest
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Anarchast Episode About the App I Mentioned
- SideKik.co IndiGoGo Campaign
- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young – Teach Your Children
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.