So yesterday I did a show one could only call alarming about GMOs and the problems they are creating for society in the name of science and supposedly feeding the world. Though one wonders how putting round up resistant bent grass on golf courses will fee anything?
Today true to the TSP mission I turn to one of the personal solutions to this problem, preserving the genetic diversity of our existing seed stocks.
There is also a ton of confusion in the seed marketplace today about exactly what a GMO is, what a hybrid is and what an “heirloom” seed is. Without an understanding of this you are vulnerable to a lot of misinformation campaigns designed to sell you things you don’t need or keep you from using some seeds that may really be beneficial to you.
For instance some hybrids may be resistant to a disease that is rampant in your region or allow you to get an earlier start in a region with a short growing season. Additionally you do want to avoid GMOs and GMO containing foods whenever you can but the risk to seeds used by home gardeners at this time is greatly over exaggerated by those with something to sell you.
Join me today as we discuss…
- Understanding Seed Storage and Seed Types
- What is a GMO vs. what is a hybrid
- What is an heirloom vs. what is an open pollinated variety
- What is the purpose of a commercial seed bank, the positives and negatives
- Do seeds ever “go bad” or is it not quite that simple
- What are the enemies to a seeds vitality, what makes for good storage
- Saving You Own Seeds
- Selecting fruit/seeds for saving
- Separation distances and cross pollination
- Succession planting to avoid cross pollination/hybrid crossing
- Manual pollination and isolation to ensure purity
- Resource for specific seed types
- Building Personal Seed Vaults
- Remember the enemies of seed storage (light, heat, moisture)
- Oxygen free is NOT the way to be
- Ziplock vs. mylar vs. containers vs. envelopes
- Consider how long you really need to store seeds
- Focus on what grows fast and what provides calories
- Remember some seeds are food and some food is seed
- Buying seeds is a good investment – Start with out supporters
- Trading is another great way to add stock and diversity (local rocks)
- Why you should join Seed Savers Exchange
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Self Defense Consultants – (sponsor of the day)
- International Seed Savers Institute
- Seed Savers Exchange – (MSB Supporter)
- High Mowing Organic Seeds – (MSB Supporter)
- Victory Seed Company – (MSB Supporter)
- Ron Hood’s Survival.com Magazine
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.