Geoff Lawton just released a great video that represents the beginnings of an awesome new project and it fits in great with today’s show topic. In his video which addresses preparing for future crisis with permaculture Geoff shows how chickens can be used to establish a food forest 150 square meters at a time.
This is just one role that livestock both small and large can play in a permaculture system. From talking to hundreds of people I am convinced that you can have some sort of livestock in just about any environment.
To me if you really wish to branch out into individual sustainability at some point animals must become part of the formula. Today I discuss how to do that and how to actually sculpt land with animals being one of your tools in doing so. We discuss how to do this on a large acreage or even a small suburban lot.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- Why animals in the first place, what does nature teach us
- Understanding soil creation both fungal and bacterial
- Using chickens to restore a pasture OR create a food forest
- Using ducks for pest control and free ranging them in “forest”
- The role animals play in nutrient bioavailability
- How improperly managed animals can destroy a system
- How to adapt large scale animal concepts into small scale operations
- Using animals in suburban environments
- How to even use animals covertly in suburban environments
Resources for Today’s Show…
- Members Support Brigade
- The TSP Gear Shop
- The TSP Copper Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Geoff Lawton’s New Video on Permaculture to Advert Pending Crisis
- Paul Wheaton Article on Paddocks for Chickens
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.