Rebecca Colvin has been raising show rabbits for the past 17 years. During this time she has seen and done pretty much everything you can think of with regards to raising rabbits, breeding, showing, heat problems, ventilation, pests, diseases, and so on.
Throughout the 17 years Rebecca has won at many shows and placed well at the national level. She raises Mini Rex for most of that time; they are a small cousin of the Rex rabbit, which is commonly used for fur and meat. The Mini Rex is more commonly used for the pet trade but they taste just as good as any other rabbit.
At the beginning of 2013 Rebecca started keeping her culls and eating them instead of selling them to keepers of big snakes and cats. Other then rabbits, Rebecca has a love all animals. She has three dogs, two finches, a Western Hog Nose, and a Betta fish named Rock Star. She works in Pet Retail helping educate people to become better pet parents.
Join Rebecca and I as we Discuss…
- How do you start raising rabbits
- What breed is right for you
- What is the best set up for a rabbit barn
- Considerations in choosing the location of your set up
- How do you breed rabbits
- How do you deal with extreme temperatures
- What are the top mistakes people make when starting out
If you have questions for Rebecca you can ask them in the comments below or email here at minirexs at gmail dot com.
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1286
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.