Jen Mendez is a wife, mother, permaculture enthusiast and student, lifelong learner, urban homesteader, and professionally trained, successful educator gone rogue. Her experiences living and working around the world as an active duty military member led to an understanding of the need for and the impact of education on the future of our world.
After her service, she completed a Masters in International Education with a focus on early childhood and elementary education and has been an educator ever since. Between her time as a classroom teacher and now as a homeschooling parent, she has fused her passion for educating and her enthusiasm for permaculture into an ethical, scientific design process to create a comprehensive, project-based inquiry education that empowers in learning and life.
The goal is to help children become active, solutions-based thinkers and do-ers. She has created an approach to education that the children, parents, grandparents, teachers, and other mentors can use to collaborate and design an education that meets the needs, goals, and passions of each individual children.
Moreover, she is using her knowledge and connections within the educational community to access, integrate, and re-configure resources that already exist so that, in the words of Bill Mollison (Permaculture Designers’ Manual, p.9), “It arranges what was already there in a different way, so that it works to conserve energy or to generate more energy than it consumes.” The idea is that as a community, we can use this commonsense, ethical design system and resources to create an education that empowers in learning and life.
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1327
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
- Safe Castle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Terroir Seeds – (MSB Discounter of the day, 10% off)
- PermieKids.com – Jen’s Website
- Permie Kids on Facebook
- Jen on Twitter
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.