Today we are going to turn our focus on food production in our own back yards. The plants I will describe here are wonderful for growing in just about any environment. And even though they are perennials most will do find in containers and wicking beds, etc. Indeed a few are custom made for such applications though normally not grown that way.
Perennials are wonderful because they either come back on their own every year or they require very minimal effort to assure their return each year. Many are even considered weeds or a nuisance by the unknowing. Yep a plant that requires minimal work, self propagates and is good to eat we have come to see as a weed.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- How we define perennial vs how we should define it as growers
- Twelve Plants you should be growing for trouble free food production
- Bloody Dock (True Perennial to Zone 4) – Source
- Ostrich Fern (True Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
- Scarlet Runner Beans (True Perennial to Zone 6 with heavy mulch) – Source
- Sorrel (True Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
- Jerusalem Artichoke (Behaves Like a Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
- Lambs Quarters (Behaves Like a Perennial to Zone 4 and possibly Zone 3) – Source
- Day Lilies (True Perennial to Zone 4) – Source
- Good King Henry (True Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
- Egyptian Onions (True Perennial to Zone 4) – Source
- Horse Radish (True Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
- New Zealand Spinach (True Perennial to Zone 7 or Zone 6) – Source
- Lovage (True Perennial to Zone 3) – Source
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1986
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- First Official GDGC – Meet Up, Camp Out and Shoot
- The Way it Is – Bruce Hornsby and the Range
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.