I should probably call this podcast “an accurate understanding of permaculture” but “A New Understanding of Permaculture” has a better ring to it. This show was in part inspired by a video by my good friend Curtis Stone called “What Permaculture Got Wrong“, while I love Curtis it could have been called “What Curtis Doesn’t Understand About Permaculture”.
Though that is in NO WAY a dig at Curtis. His opinion is based on seeing what people call permaculture and how those same people define it. I see a huge problem here and it comes down to conflating technique and tactics with overall strategy.
Permaculture is a strategy, more accurately…
Permaculture is an ethical design science used to create specific strategies for any given situation using appropriate methods and techniques for the purpose of specific goals.
Many have struggled to define permaculture over the years but I would hold that the above one may be the most accurate, simply because it separates strategy from techniques and tactics. Permaculture is a systems thinking process, it is not simply a collection of techniques that are natural and safe ways to grow food. Today we examine how that simple understanding allows Permaculture to actually live up to all that it promises.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What does permaculture actually promise
- What is permaculture at its core
- The Prime Directive
- The Three Ethics
- How politics screws everything up
- How the three lead to good design
- How many critics get it right and wrong at the same time
- What is really meant by appropriate technology
- Some common methods and how they go wrong
- Rotational Grazing
- Food Forestry
- Some common myths about permaculture
- There is no annual production in permaculture
- There are no real pest/weed problems
- Permaculture is only good for back yards
- You can’t do mechanized harvest and do permaculture, etc.
- Some of Permaculture’s biggest pitfalls
- Obsession with a method
- Unrealistic goals
- Lack of experience (equating knowledge with skill)
- Attachment to ideology
- The keys to success
- Start with realistic goals
- Define the end game
- Accept the following
- Budgets (time and money)
- Your ability
- Market realities
- Climate limitations
- Why I feel Permaculture when understood is the best of all worlds
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Madman Across the Water – On SongFacts
- Madman Across the Water – Elton John
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.