In spite of the fact that yesterday’s show went two hours I realized at the end that many things I wanted to include didn’t get included. For instance we didn’t cover breeding, incubating, brooding, slaughter and cooking.
Today I am going to take a second pass at this. I am going to give you some actual numbers about weights when it comes to the slaughter of young, non meat breed cockerels. Likely it will have you never bothering to pluck one again.
I am also going to provide you with a variety of ways to cook cull birds in order to deal with either their small size or tougher texture for the older birds.
I will also cover the basics of brooding your young birds and my experience thus far with geese that tells me a broody hen is worth more than two incubators!
Join Me Today to Discuss
- Ordering chickens vs. buying local
- Setting up a brooder
- Introduction to an existing flock
- Incubation of your own eggs
- What the geese taught me about brooding
- Keeping roosters from attacking you (sometimes this involves culling)
- How I slaughter a chicken
- To pluck or not to pluck, some real numbers
- Some ways to cook cull chickens
- Coq au Vin
- Jacks Chicken Soup
- Shredded Tex Mex Chicken
- Chicken Stir Fry – The Key is the “Cut”
- Making broth/stock from broilers “waste”
- Some cool ways to use eggs
- The easy “over easy” egg
- The “nested egg” (I use sprouted grain bread)
- Egg drop soup
- Remember anything can go in an omelet
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1397
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Coq au Vin Recipe
- Gas Stove Flame Tamer – for simmering
- One Way to Make Egg Drop Soup
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in con