Today we dip into the archives again. Episode 298 was originally published on Oct. 15th, 2009. By that time the TSP philosophy and components of it like the inverse relationship between impact scale and probability were well fleshed out.
Today will will lay out 20 steps to take as a person who has just decided that it is time “to do something” but isn’t quite sure what that “something” is. Even though today is done with the new person in mind I think it will help everyone sort of recenter on the core of what is the most important things to make sure you have accomplished.
I have also created a special commercial free version of today’s show for sharing with others who you want to get thinking about preparedness. That version can be found on our forum here.
Tune in today as we discuss
- Start with the old fable of the grasshopper and the ant
- The first thing you do is assess the situation and stay calm
- Journal your spending and your eating
- Write a plan for debt elimination and begin creating an emergency fund
- Put together a basic documentation package
- Assemble a BOB for each family member (cheap and fast the first time around)
- Inventory your pantry over a week or two (how much food do you have at your low point)
- Begin storing up a 30 day supply of food you will eat anyway
- Begin assembling a low cost 30 day long term storage supply
- Determine where you would go if you had to leave and go at least 50 miles from home
- Make plans for how you would help elderly parents or other family members
- Update your resume and be prepared to loose your job on any given day
- Avoid focusing on any individual coming event or scenario
- Plan a garden and start getting ready to plant (depending on the season)
- Learn about disaster commonality (it is not about the disaster it is about loss of support systems)
- Learn about disaster probability (Personal-Localized-Regional-State-National-Global)
- Determine your most probable “personal”, “local” and “regional”
- Start window shopping for “country land” or an “urban homestead”
- Think of the children, won’t someone please think of the children (seriously think of your children)
- Assess your “normal preparations”
- Take ownership of your plan and your life
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1223
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.