So I jumped on Zello today to get some potential show topics, and the dominant vein was homesteading, finding a homestead and making it profitable in some way seemed to be the common denominator, so I am going to try to make a show about both of those things today.
Homesteading is a dream for many in the community, so I want to start out with a simple concept, “grow where you are planted”, there are some amazing examples of urban homesteading out there.
Additionally think long and hard about being “way out there” if you want to have some sort of revenue generating activity on your homestead. That usually requires other people, so unless your product/service is easily delivered across great distances being somewhere near other people, is a great idea.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What actually makes a home, into a homestead
- What are the characteristics of a good homestead location
- Freedom – as you define it
- Climate – as you like it
- Value – solid investments have exit strategies
- Size – farms are not homesteads, remember that, an acre can wear you out
- Remember the permaculture lens, water, access, structure
- Neighbors – will they be a bother, can they be, see item one
- Opportunity – for that day job, for your kids, spouse, etc.
- Before we side hustle, may be we should self hustle
- Grow what you can use or store, not much more
- Determine all local resources that you can hunt/gather
- Develop a lifestyle that maximizes your life, minimizes your costs
- Automate, automate, automate
- Go slow, one or two projects at a time, less done right is better than more done wrong
- Some side hustle opportunities and how to think about them
- Remember that we are outside the system, aka, agorists
- Sometimes it is okay to loose money, usually it isn’t
- Defining the goals of your side hustle/s
- What to do with a butt load of hot peppers
- Thoughts on livestock, eggs, etc.
- Granddaddy made shine and Buddy Shoemaker made wine
- If you are gonna grow crops, grow a specialty crop
- Vacation cabins – solid idea!
- Selling fertility
- Plant propagation
- Workshops – not as easy as everyone thinks
- Crafting – build only what you can sell, use or use to sell
- Bees – bugs are worth more than honey
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- The Year 105
- Walking To Freedom
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Only the Young – Song Facts
- Only the Young – Journey
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.