I have talked a bit here and there over the years about making home made liqueurs and a few times given out my recipe for Limoncello but I have yet to do a full show on just this subject, today that changes. I am going to talk about a few different things you can do today when it comes to hand crafting your own higher end alcohol products.
These can often be made with simple low priced vodka or grain alcohol (diluted to proper levels), though some require things like rum or brandy. Today I am going to go beyond that and discuss how you can take things like neutral spirts and turn them into say rum or whiskey or brandy by using essences and or aging on various forms of wood.
Why would one wish to do this. First is saving money. A bottle of something like Frangelico for instance will sell for 25-30 dollars, but you can make it with essences for about 8-10 a bottle with mid grade Vodka like say Takka. You can also make it with less sugar, a bit higher in alcohol if you like and we can repete that with many other and even more expensive liqueurs. How about something similar to Gran Marnier for 10-12 bucks a bottle or less, yes we can do that too.
Next think about how valuable this skill would be in a total SHTF break down, anyone can make some “fuel that you drink” but being able to make it into something special well, not just everyone knows how to do that. I am not one that holds to the total collapse theory but I can see several partial collapse scenarios where this skill has value.
How about something to give as gifts to friends. Rather than show up to that party with a bottle of wine being regifted for the 13th time how about some home made peppermint schnapps made from your own peppermint. If you do it that way it will be green instead of clear but trust me it will never be regifted.
In the end it is just plain fun to do and you can create some really cool stuff and you know that fruit that you over produce that is about to go bad, how about turning it into something amazing that will keep almost forever. Today we discuss all this and more.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is liquor vs. liqueur
- What are “alcohol essences” and what are their limits
- Why would use use essences over say fresh ingredients
- Where is the best place to get essences
- Aging on wood, why I prefer oak spirals
- The main types of syrups for liqueurs
- Simple Syrup
- Brown Simple Syrup
- Caramelized Simple Syrup
- Creamy Simple Syrup
- Tangy-Creamy Simple Syrup
- The basic process of making liqueurs
- Muddle your fruit/herbs/etc with alcohol or alcohol and syrup
- Age sufficiently to infuse
- Strain out ingredients
- Sweeten if you didn’t use sugar out of the gate
- Bottle and enjoy
- The basic process of making liquors or liqueurs with essences
- Select the essence of your choice
- Add it to the proper amount of neutral spirit
- Add any other called for ingredients
- Either of these can also be wood aged, further spiced etc.
- How to calculate your approximate alcohol in the final product
- How to use “Everclear” without it being so “expensive”
- A few recipes I have made
- Orange Brandy (like Gran Marnier or Cointreau)
- Chamomile Angel
- Poire William
- Some essences I have tried and enjoyed so far
- Final thoughts
- These are for sipping not blowing up your liver
- Recipes are fine the real fun is making them your own
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1923
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits by Andrew Schloss
- Mile Hi Distilling – If you buy anything from them please mention us to them. I am trying to get them into the MSB.
- Calculation of Alcohol Levels in your Liquor
- A Boy Named Sue – Johnny Cash
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.