Tim Glance is the owner of Old Grouch Military surplus and a veteran of the US Army where he served for 18 years as a Construction Equipment Mechanic, Wheeled Vehicle mechanic, and now as a Warrant Officer Engineer Equipment Repair Technician still serving in the Army Reserve.
Tim is also a Ham Radio operator with 10+ years with experience in emergency communications. He joins us today to discuss How and why to listen to local public safety with a scanner, how and why to listen to shortwave along with how and why to get started in ham radio and all the things you can do with it.
Join Us Today As We Discuss…
- Why is a scanner or receiver the most important part of prep communications
- What to look for in a scanner
- Scanner compatibility with your local systems
- Are older scanners good
- What scanner Tim feels is the best available today
- What is ham radio
- What makes ham radio so versatile and reliable
- What kinds of communications are possible with HAM
- The folly of just buying a radio and storing it
- How do you get started with HAM radio
- Levels of license- who needs what and privacy
- Is encryption available or legal
- What kind of radio to start with, what to avoid
- Where to find more resources for getting starte
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- ShelfReliance.com – (sponsor of the day)
- Silver and Gold Shop – (sponsor of the day)
- Resources Tim Provided
- OldGrouch on FaceBook
- The OldGrouch Blog
- The Uniden Home Patrol
- radioreference.com – the worlds best scanner resource
- arrl.org – American Radio Relay League, the national association for ham radio
- hamradiolicenseexam.com – great online ham radio class
- qrz.com Ham radio forums, ads, practice tests.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.