Author Topic: Fritz's leatherwork thread  (Read 1241 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Fritz's leatherwork thread
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
I mentioned in some other threads that I'm trying my hand at leatherwork.  I decided to start this thread to keep track of my leatherwork projects.

First project wasn't leather, it's a stitching pony that holds the piece while stitching.  Wood was all left over from other projects.  I did have to buy the lag bolts and the wing nuts.  So a total of about $5.

This was a practice stitching piece.  I was just sewing 2 pieces of leather together.  I noticed that my thread scissors fit perfectly, so that's what it's used for.

This was the real reason that I started doing leatherwork.  I wanted to have a better way of carrying my EDC gear.  This is the first take on a pocket organizer. 

While I was at the Tandy store, I decided to get some snaps for future projects.  I wanted to try putting some snaps into leather, so decided to make a couple earbud holders.  Snaps aren't nearly as easy as they seem to be.

I was pretty happy with the other organizer, but it was a bit floppy.  I wanted something that was stiffer.  I also wanted to try wet forming leather.  So here's the most recent version of my pocket organizer.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Fritz's leatherwork thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 07:11:21 PM »
Cool!  Looks like that will be a useful skill to learn.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »
 8)

:popcorn:

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 03:23:48 AM »
Cool. Are you using lacing or a hand sewing awl? I'm not sure what I see in the pics. Just curious.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »
Awesome stuff! I did leather work back in the Boy Scouts and I always loved it. And how dare you make me want to do it again? I don't have the time for the things I already make!  :sarcasm:

It really gets me thinking about making custom ammo carriers. I've never had a mag holster I really liked (competition models don't EDC) and all revolver ammo carriers are either competition redicullousness or straight garbage.

Also makes me want to make a custom toolbelt. Asmuch as I love my ratty old well loved tool belt they're either built for carpentry or masonry and not fine woodworking. And don't get me started on the craptacular aprons marketed to us. Just imagine a belt with slots made for a caliper, chisels, marking knife, 9mm, block plane, etc.

I'm in a tailspin. I want in. Could you post some resources for leather and tools? Maybe some recommendations? I already have wood, lag bolts, and wing nuts. I'm curious to learn more. I think it's been 30 years...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
Between work, school and other hobbies, everything I do is computer related.  I decided that I needed something that was not plugged in.  I was looking around YouTube a bit and wanted a pocket organizer, I decided to see what I could do.

Cool. Are you using lacing or a hand sewing awl? I'm not sure what I see in the pics. Just curious.
Hand stitching.  Just playing with saddle stitching right now.

Awesome stuff! I did leather work back in the Boy Scouts and I always loved it. And how dare you make me want to do it again? I don't have the time for the things I already make!  :sarcasm:

I'm in a tailspin. I want in. Could you post some resources for leather and tools? Maybe some recommendations? I already have wood, lag bolts, and wing nuts. I'm curious to learn more. I think it's been 30 years...
Loved doing this back in the Boy Scouts too.  I got the majority of my stuff from Tandy Leather.  All the info has been from YouTube and from Leatherworker.net.

As a heads up, Tandy has a military appreciation thing.  Any veterans are able to get it.  It gives you the "elite" pricing.  It's a huge price cut.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 02:43:06 PM »
The thread that I'm using is nylon so I burn the end when done stitching.  So I decided to make a case for the lighter.  I found that eyelets are a PITA to put in.  I was going to decorate it with a basketweave stamp, but I need more practice with them before I use them on a project.

I think that my stitching has improved a little.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
Can koozie tonight.  I learned that the pattern I have is for a thinner leather.  Using the leather I like using, it requires about 3mm added to each size.  I also learned that my 4mm stitching chisels are too close together for this type of project.  I would like to see the cross of the stitches better.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
As a heads up, Tandy has a military appreciation thing.  Any veterans are able to get it.  It gives you the "elite" pricing.  It's a huge price cut.

Oh cool. Maybe I can talk my brother in law into this. He's an Afghan vet and we perpetually have "projects". Between the twwo of us there's an Army mechanic, a woodworker, welder, mason, etc. Also think my 8 year old nephews would love the experience. Seems like a good family learning idea when we're rained in. Or, being honest, anything that gets our asses in the shop. And as memory serves he owes me one... or I owe him one... or somewhere in the middle.  ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:32:06 AM »
Another lighter case.  Made this to play around with stamping.  I found it's difficult to get the stamps to mesh together like this.  I also played around with a basketweave stamp, that's easier to get to mesh than this scale stamp.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
I made a padfolio last week and it turned out well, but I can't get the pic to upload to the pic hosting site I use. 

Made this 6-pack holder today.  Turned out pretty good and I will likely make a couple more of these for gifts.  No sewing required.

I cut the straps by hand, I learned that I need to get a strap cutter.  Cutting them by hand is a major pain and very time consuming.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »
All the projects look very good.  Great hobby and skill

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
Your progress is improving immensely