Author Topic: Homemade shampoo and conditioner  (Read 12796 times)

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
Homemade shampoo and conditioner
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »
I just read the book Curly Girl http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/curly-girl-enhanced-ebook/id434494966?mt=11
and it has a good amount of recipes in it for homemade shampoo and conditioner. I got this book as a way of learning about how to tame my curls so I can stop straightening my hair. After I read it thought I realized the recipes would be really helpful in a survival situation so I thought I'd share the book here in case someone wants to check it out. The simplest shampoo recipe is 1 Tb baking soda in 1 cup warm water. I used this one yesterday and it seemed to work. I have not tried any of the conditioners in the book yet but plan to pick up the ingredients today to try it tomorrow. Yesterday I used a conditioner recipe I found online because I had the ingredients on hand which was 1 part ACV (apple cider vinegar) and 1 part water. I found out the reason this recipe isn't in the book is because it makes curly hair very light and flyaway (frizzy) :P Hope this is helpful!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Homemade shampoo and conditioner
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:23:57 AM »
when you go the baking soda route, be warned, it takes time for your hair/scalp to adjust.  good luck

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
I stopped using shampoo about three weeks ago. It does take a while for your hair to adjust, but it really was only about 10 days for me. I used to be on a "shampoo every other day" schedule. Now I am on a "rinse every other day with baking soda and ACV." It works nicely. Now my hair is shiny and soft and curly instead of frizzy, and the only place I have to use my flatiron is on my bangs (because otherwise they look goofy).

I should have done this 30 years ago. I've been fighting frizzies my entire adult life.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »
I am glad it is working for you! I read that a lot of people on that method wash 1-2x a week so that's what I am aiming for. I am still every other day right now myself.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »
I wash once a week.  it doesn't look dirty or unkempt, but by day 6 it is starting to be stiff, and hard to brush.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
I wash once a week.  it doesn't look dirty or unkempt, but by day 6 it is starting to be stiff, and hard to brush.
Do you rinse with water in between washes? That is what I am still trying to figure out.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
I don't.  maybe I should, but I found that actually made it worse.  I just tie it up in a bun.  no shower cap, so it gets slightly damp.  and then I brush it as soon as I am out of the shower.  I am also trying to remember to brush it before bed.  i think that will help.  I used to do that, but then I shaved my head for 3 years and I got out of the habit.

I do not mention it often, but when I have brought it up in conversation, usually with someone looking to go no-poo, and invariably, these conversations are on saturdays - dunno why, exactly, but that means it has been 6 days since I have washed my hair.  and they always take a good look at my hair and say that it does not look dirty or greasy or nasty, if that helps.  of course, I do not mention it in daily conversation either.  ::)

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
I love that book! Some one gave me a copy about 8 years ago. My hair was horrible. Anyone remeber that little girl from curly sue or the one who did the pepsi commercials? Yeah it was like that! 

I shaved my head about 2 years ago when i was told i might need chemo or radiation. Thought i would get a jump start on looking like a bad ass, lol. Now my hair grew back all funky. I miss my curls but its more wavy and manageable now. I was about every 3 or 4 days but thats cause i sweat alot when i sleep and it gets gross after about 4 days. Even just using water daily, 4 days is tops for me.

Offline Goldilocks

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
I love that book! Some one gave me a copy about 8 years ago. My hair was horrible. Anyone remeber that little girl from curly sue or the one who did the pepsi commercials? Yeah it was like that! 

I shaved my head about 2 years ago when i was told i might need chemo or radiation. Thought i would get a jump start on looking like a bad ass, lol. Now my hair grew back all funky. I miss my curls but its more wavy and manageable now. I was about every 3 or 4 days but thats cause i sweat alot when i sleep and it gets gross after about 4 days. Even just using water daily, 4 days is tops for me.
I just started checking out this forum again,and certainly glad I did :)
My two cents anyway-I do like the idea of using natural, available ingredients to make products at home, but its still a big adjustment for the regular person. For myself, I wash every other day because I have oily hair and its important to keep it looking clean and fresh(I use Avalon Organics
 stuff).

Does anyone have other sugestions on how to make *good* homemade shampoo/conditioner?

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:35:05 AM »
Does anyone have other sugestions on how to make *good* homemade shampoo/conditioner?

I've just been using the baking soda/ cider vinegar combo and it seems to be working well. I got through the greasy stage and was on a schedule of washing every other day with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar. Now I am trying to stretch that out to 3 or 4 days between washes, and I am experiencing the greasies again a bit, but not nearly as bad as the first time. It does help a lot to brush with a good boar bristle brush, twice a day if I remember.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
I've been washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with raw ACV for ages.  I use the BS/ACV combo about every four days or so, and just rinse with warm water in between washings. Not only is my hair much healthier than it was when I was spending big $$ on top salon shampoos and conditioners, but the adult acne I'd been plagued with (and spent a ton more $$ on trying to get rid of) suddenly disappeared once I started using only baking soda / raw ACV on my hair and showering with just plain old fashioned lye soap.  Boar bristle hair brushes are the best, aren't they? I also have a dry body brush...for those who aren't body brushing, you don't know what you're missing.  ;)

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »
I also have a dry body brush...for those who aren't body brushing, you don't know what you're missing.  ;)

What are we missing?!

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
What are we missing?!

Not counting all the benefits (see link below for a list of the benefit), it just makes the body feel so much more alive.  :)  Think how your head would feel if you didn't brush your hair for a couple of days. Then of how if feels after a good brushing. A body brushing is like that, but with an all-over great feeling, not just stopping at the head. 

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dry-Brushing:-How-To-Do-It,-And-Its-Benefits&id=415652

Offline sweetlilmoma

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
I'm pretty new to the forum and I haven't really read anything on here before but, the Lady Survivors and Homemade Shampoo and Conditioner caught my eye. I'm very interested in natural body care and I make my own soap and shea butter. I'm thinking about trying this baking soda and ACV method. I bleached my hair last year so it's very dry and dead, I know that this won't make that much of a difference since my hair is so damaged, but I figure it'll help a little bit.
I'm also interested in the dry brushing. I just read the article in the link and now I want to do it even more. Once I find a brush, I'm starting! :)

amanadoo

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
OK, so I tried the straight castile soap//ACV rinse route last year, with disastrous results. I wanted to try again though, and today as I was mixing up my homemade face wash and deodorant, I decided to make some shampoo.

I kind of combined  a Rosemary Gladstar recipe and various things I've read on the internet.

2/3 c Grated Kirk's castile soap
1 1/3 c baking soda
10 drops Sunflower Oil
6 drops peppermint essential oil
2 drops rosemary essential oil

Combined above ingredients in a quart jar and filled with hot (near boiling) water, mixed, cooled and used in the shower. I rubbed it in a little and let it sit while I scrubbed down and then just rinsed it out!

I will update after a while and let you all know how it went!

Offline AussieNana

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
My hair was getting oilier and oilier and I was thinking of going from washing and conditioning every second day to every day. Then I decided to trial extending the time and putting up with the greasiness for a day or so instead. So I went to washing every 3 days. It took a couple of weeks to settle down. Then I moved to washing every 4 days, 5 days, then once a week.

At the once a week stage I changed to washing with baking soda (sodium bicarb) and made the transition well. I think it would probably be improved by rinsing with some vinegar, but quite frankly I can't be bothered.

I think a lot of our oiliness problem is because our hair produces more because we keep stripping it out. If we don't keep stripping it then it doesn't need to produce as much.

It saves on buying shampoos and conditioners too.

Offline spitchtara

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
I just read about the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I have only tried it once, but like it so far. I am so sick of all of the poison that is in every product we use every day. I asked a friend about Bs/ACV, she tried it but didn't use the vinegar. She had horrible results with BS alone, very dry and brittle hair, so make sure you use some kind of conditioner.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
do any of you blow dry your hair? For years I did not and my hair was very healthy. about 4 years ago I had to start blow drying it before work and it is very dry now but maybe that is just an age related thing?

annestacey

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:32 AM »
do any of you blow dry your hair? For years I did not and my hair was very healthy. about 4 years ago I had to start blow drying it before work and it is very dry now but maybe that is just an age related thing?

Blow drying does tend to damage hair but it depends on how hot you set it and your hair type.  My hair gets more dry/brittle from drying since I started doing foil highlighting.  My hair is long, thick and curly so I just dry the underside that hangs next to my neck and let the rest of it dry on its own.  Less damage that way.

Here is my problem:  Because my hair is bleached, it tangles up really bad when I wash it and then takes a long time and a lot of conditioner to detangle it.   I can't even use organic products on my bleached hair because they just don't work well.  It's like I'm forced to use the commercial products if I choose to be blonde.  Can someone recommend a good homemade recipe for taking care of my tangled mess?  BTW, this happens only when I wash it.  When dry, my hair is really nice and it behaves much better when it's long and bleached.   Go figure... thanks for advice.

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
as a soap maker and former hairstylist.. i suggest.. make a batch of castile soap.. very easy with cheapest olive oil at your fav store.. then as a conditioner use a dime to quarter size dab of pure gylcerine (at any pharmacy dept) and work through your towel dried hair. leave in. it will soften the hair without adding oil or greasy feeling. it will provide the slide you need for combing tangled with a wide toothed comb... a once a month pack of olive oil and egg whipped together will also strengthen your hair with out interferring with your color treatments. if you are not into soapmaking at home.. find a soaper who makes pure castile.. olive oil and lye water only.. its smooth and silky... very good to cleanse with out any additives.. the oldest known formula of soap.

annestacey

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
as a soap maker and former hairstylist.. i suggest.. make a batch of castile soap.. very easy with cheapest olive oil at your fav store.. then as a conditioner use a dime to quarter size dab of pure gylcerine (at any pharmacy dept) and work through your towel dried hair. leave in. it will soften the hair without adding oil or greasy feeling. it will provide the slide you need for combing tangled with a wide toothed comb... a once a month pack of olive oil and egg whipped together will also strengthen your hair with out interferring with your color treatments. if you are not into soapmaking at home.. find a soaper who makes pure castile.. olive oil and lye water only.. its smooth and silky... very good to cleanse with out any additives.. the oldest known formula of soap.

Thanks for that information.  There's a great farmer's market down the road and I may be able to find the castile soap there.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
+1 thanks for the info

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 06:12:57 AM »
I've been doing the baking soda/ACV for about 6 months now and mostly I like it, but I've noticed my hair is getting drier now that it's winter. I ran across this the other day and would like to try it, but haven't had time to make up a batch yet:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Eco-friendly-low-cost-hair-conditioner-and-gel/

Limiting my use of baking soda to twice a week and only using it close to my scalp seems to have helped.