Author Topic: Cleaning Mosin Nagant from use of Corrosive Rounds  (Read 14022 times)

Offline Russkie

• Survivor
Cleaning Mosin Nagant from use of Corrosive Rounds
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
I need step-by-step instructions on how to clean my new rifle after shooting corrosive ammunition. I've read several posts online but none seem to quite make sense to me...can anyone else help me?
Just a good ol boy, never meanin no harm.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
Re: How to clean Mosin-Nagant after shooting corrosive ammo?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Spray windex down the barrel, let it sit for a moment, then run patches. Then clean with hoppe's or breakfree or whatever.

Its the ammonia in the windex that does the trick on the corrosive salts.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
Ditto
Windex is the ticket.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
Or Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner.  It has ammonia in it and is the best copper cleaner I've ever found.  Just make sure you don't let it soak too long in your barrel as any ammonia cleaner can do damage to the barrel.
Inflatable Goat in 2014!

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »
Here's a great thread on cleaning after corrosive ammo: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22672.0

Yep.  Windex is the key.  It has ammonia which neutralizes the corrosive salts in the primers.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline DeathbyFM

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
I've always used a bucket of water, a generous amount of Dawn, and some elbow grease on my Tantal. Never had any problems.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:12 AM »
I've always used a bucket of water, a generous amount of Dawn, and some elbow grease on my Tantal. Never had any problems.
That's how I learned to clean black powder, which prior to pyrodex, was very corrosive.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Donulld

• Prepper
  • 2nd Class Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 06:42:35 AM »
Good old soap and water is all that is needed. Yes Windex may be a little faster, but is not required. Corrosive primers are in almost all ammunition made before the mid 1950's, and most of the modern ammo coming out of the former Eastern Bloc countries.

I would be willing to bet that your Mosin has had 100 times the amount of corrosive ammo shot through it that non-corrosive. And I would be willing to bet that it was cleaned with soap and water.

Use lots of water and a nice coating of oil when finished and you will not have any problems

No man’s life, liberty, or properties are safe while the legislature is in session.

Offline Fyrekat

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
Well I guess I'll restate the obvious.  The main cleaning method used in the field was to urinate down the bore....
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.

Great indebtedness does not make men grateful, but vengeful; and if a little charity is not forgotten, it turns into a gnawing worm.

I love those who do not know how to live for today.
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Friedrich Nietzche

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »
Well I guess I'll restate the obvious.  The main cleaning method used in the field was to urinate down the bore....

That takes the saying "piss poor shot" to a whole new level!
Inflatable Goat in 2014!

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »

Which works when it isn't gas operated so the corrosive primer salts aren't blowing all around the insides of the gun.  Pissing down a barrel I can handle.  But in the bolt and the muzzle break?  I guess if that's all I could do.  Think about how that would smell after it heated up.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »
Windex will work , but I prefer the old hot water and soap. If you do decide to use soap and water use really hot water. That way the water will evaporate off. Then just oil and clean as you normally would.

There's nothing to be worried about with corrosive ammo. Just clean your rifle well and you'll never notice the difference. Just don't let it sit overnight without cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.

Offline g8tors09

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
Ditto's to bulkammo.com  Just clean it. I will suggest getting some newer non corrosive rounds and make sure that you fire those off last. It  will help remove some of the residue from the corrosive rounds.  Man there ain't nothing like that 7.62 kick in the pants is there? Try shooting at dusk and using a fast camera set on multiple shots. You will love seeing the flamethrower effect. I have one shot of my father and there is a 6 and a half foot flame from the barrel.

Jason

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »

I thought I was the only one who could fit in the barrel.  Thanks for making me feel better!   :D
Still bitterly clinging to guns and religon!

Offline DeltaOscarCharlie

• Survivor
  • "An armed society is a polite society."
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »

"Ladies and gentlemen, gather 'round.  I hold here in my hand a container of pure magic.  This yellow liquid can do everything.  It's a true miracle of our scientific age - or any age for that matter.  Completely sterile (under most circumstances) you can use it to treat the common cold, whiten your teeth, dye clothing, keep cats out of your flower beds.  But it doesn't stop there --- oh no!  Want young looking skin?  Then just wash your face in it once a week for that eternal glow of youth.  Stung by a jellyfish or pickup a sea anemone spine while walking on the beach? OUCH!  Just use this super liquid, straight from the source, to relieve that horrible, painful burning sensation in an instant.  Had a hard night on the town - drink this first thing in the morning and hangovers are a thing of the past.  Use it to make leather, bleach wool, whip up a bunch of gunpowder, make a paper battery, put out a fire, or send it to someone to show that you really DO care. Far from being the last use - it will neutralize corrosives in that old Russian rifle barrel and act as a liquid enhancer for any gas mask filter before that cloud of mustard gas can reach you.  The uses are endless. 

Now, who will be the first to buy this bottle of 'Peter's All-Purpose Liquid'?  Step right up, don't be shy!"

WARNING: Not to be directed onto spark plugs from the originating source.  Odor may cause watering of the eyes and severe nasal distress.  Consult a physician should corrosion of the "production" channel become evident.  Discontinue use in the event of rash, vomiting, or puddling around ankles. Use only in cases of absence of refined chemicals.  Women who may become pregnant should be checked to make sure they can discern the color Blue.  In case of spillage or drippage - men should splash water liberally on the effected article of clothing before going back into public.  Taxes, in certain counties and during certain years, past or present, may applyPecunia non olet

Another fine Product brought to you by:
URETH ~ RA, LTD.
A limited liability Corporation

::)   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:14:28 PM by DeltaOscarCharlie »

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »
Spray windex down the barrel, let it sit for a moment, then run patches. Then clean with hoppe's or breakfree or whatever.

Its the ammonia in the windex that does the trick on the corrosive salts.
+1

This is also how I clean my M44 and M39 after using cheap commie ammo.

Offline ConditionOne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
After shooting corrosive ammo I clean my rifle the same way I clean my muzzle loader.  Warm soapy water to get rid of the corrosive salts, then clean in a regular fashion, and oil as necessary.  I use different products for different guns, but one of my favorite universal cleaners is cheap wal-mart non-chlorinated brake cleaner.   But its also with caution depending on the firearm I am cleaning.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
Cleaning Mosin Nagant from use of Corrosive Rounds
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
I have a carbine version and I'm planning on purchase a few more along with replacement synthetic stocks and down turn bolt mods. I love my Nagant and I love the cheap surplus rounds especially when they're around $100 for 400 rounds. Problem is the surplus round's primers are corrosive.

So does anyone have any suggestions or suggested cleaning products for cleaning a Mosin Nagant after using corrosive rounds? I've used soap and water which is what I've always been told to use but I'm looking for something better. I worry no matter how much lube I use afterwards that the soap and water is taking a toll.

Online TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Cleaning Mosin Nagant from use of Corrosive Rounds
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
Gotta love the search function. See here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22672
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
Re: Cleaning Mosin Nagant from use of Corrosive Rounds
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Thanks..... I skimmed over the search results before I posted but didn't see it. Thanks though there's some good ideas listed except for the urine.