Teresa Hord runs Quartz Ridge Ranch along with her husband and children. Quartz Ridge is a small heritage breed ranch located in Georgetown, California. The property is 100% off-grid. They raise dairy goats, American Guinea Hogs, Muscovy Ducks, Chickens and Geese.
Teresa and here family are able to feed their animals between 70-100% of their diet using a fodder system tehy designed. Teresa’s Jeremy works as a city firefighter and Teresa is a stay-at-home Mom. Together they have three children ages 9, 4 and 20 months.
Teresa joins us today to discuss DIY Fodder Systems and using them for small scale livestock production. Including why they choose to start feeding fodder and how you can grow your own feed for about 6 cents a pound!
Join Us Today As We Discuss…
- What are the basic requirements for a successful fodder system
- What are the components of the fodder system
- What can you sprout and how long does it take
- What animals can you feed on fodder
- The proper ways to supplement when feeding fodder to some animals
- What they would we do differently the second time around
- Why they are now using rain gutters as grow beds
- Advice for land seekers who want a small ranch/farm
- Thoughts on a farm that provides for your vs provides for your entire income
Resources for Today’s Show…
- Members Support Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Mint
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Quartz Ridge Ranch
- Quartz Ridge Ranch Blog
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.