There is a divide among entrepreneurs on whether or now a person should, “follow their passion” in business. We can table that today though, because whether you do so in business or just in life, I think we can all agree at some point you should fallow you passion. If not what is the sense of living?
For me this was easy, my passions are and will always be first and foremost my family. What I do I do to support them first. But to be a good husband and father, a man must also follow his own path and have joy in his life. So my other passions are nature, the outdoors, hunting, fishing, growing food, foraging, working with animals, solving problems, cooking and teaching.
And I have always known this, 20 years ago I might have explained it a bit differently but the list would have been the same. Yet when I talk to many people I realize that often people do not know what their “lifestyle passions” are. I mean most people are passionate about their family and friends, but when it comes to something of their own they often struggle with nailing it down.
Much like a gifted musician who can’t understand why a student can’t just learn four simple cords in a few minutes, I have always struggled with this concept, how the hell can anyone not know what their passions are. When you do it, you feel it, you know it, that is why it is a passion! Given that one of my passions is solving problems, I decided to look into this and today’s show is what I have come up with.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why does this even matter, why is this so important
- Before we start, a lesson from our friends the dogs
- Reasons many do not know their passions
- They have yet to experience it
- They think it has to be something “big”
- They misdefine passion
- They are afraid to admit what they really want
- Start with what you don’t want, what things do you not want in your life
- What makes you angry, and of those things which do you have influence over
- Define your lifestyle goals
- What things do you do that make you most happy
- What things do you do that you just don’t want to stop doing
- If I gave you 10 million dollars, what would you do with it
- Have you ever had a “personal perfect moment”
- Pick 20 items to take to prison with you, yes I am serious
- Who do you see as truly successful and why do you feel that way about them
- Specific cautions
- Just because it feels good doesn’t mean it is good for you
- Just because it works for someone you admire doesn’t mean it will work for you
- The number one thing separating people from their passions is fear
- The road map
- Be Peter Gibbons for a day, take a day and do nothing
- The next day write an essay, called, “My Perfect Day”
- Define the lifestyle you want to have
- Build a path that matches your lifestyle goal as soon as possible
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1952
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- You Belong to Me – Jo Stafford
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.